Saxophone Forum

by SaxPlayer324
(4 posts)
18 years ago

What makes a sax vintage?

Im sorry if i sound kind of stupid... but what makes a sax vintage? Just it being made like a while ago? I have a Bundy, from about the 70s. Its in really good shape, I'm getting the keys realigned now because it has a ton of leaks. The bell is larger than the bells today, and it has real pearl on the keys. Does anyone know where I can look up more information about Bundys, because i wanna learn more about my sax. I use an otto link tone edge mouthpiece from the 70s also with it. Is that a good combination? I've been playing sax for a few years now, but I've never really gotten into the different types and stuff before now.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What makes a sax vintage?

I wouldn't consider Bundys 'Vintage'. Is it old enough? probably. Is it desireble enough? Hardly. Bundys of that era were based on the Buescher Aristocrat, though modified to be produced more economically than that old vintage pro model. They are nearly identical to late, degraded Aristocrats during the same era. I'll say this: they're good instruments for students, but school systems seem to have been shedding them for the likes of the Jupiters, Vitos, and Yamahas. These are horns that are superior, particularily in keywork to your own saxophone. They are fairly durable, but I find them over-sprung with stiff action. The LH table is quite cumbersome.

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

18 years ago

It doesnt matter if its a byundy or a mark vi if its old enough it can still be considered vintage, generally yes a saxophone or anything made a long time ago is considered vintage, saxophones, cars, etc. Check out selmers website to get a little more info, you can also go to a repair shop and talk to a tech, they usually know a lot about the history of horns,

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

'if its old enough it can still be considered vintage' I have a hard time thinking of anything made later than 1970 as vintage, and usually reserve the term for things older than me (50). It would be too depressing to have to think of myself as 'vintage'! ;-)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

something is "vintage" when I don't feel like calling it "old." =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

It doesnt matter if its a byundy or a mark vi if its old enough it can still be considered vintage, generally yes a saxophone or anything made a long time ago is considered vintage, saxophones, cars, etc. If you just want to argue semantics, sure. I'm not trying to be mean, but from a collectable perspective, keep in mind that vintage horn collectors have virtually no interest in 70s bundys. The only people I think I've ever heard refer to them as such were people who own nothing else and love them much more than the vintage market does. Check out selmers website to get a little more info, you can also go to a repair shop and talk to a tech, they usually know a lot about the history of horns, I'm not sure what to be looking for on the Selmer website? I could not find any 'history' of models and I reguard the forums as almost useless since it has a reputation of corporate moderators heavily censoring discussion, and currently it looks like it's been trimmed down to merely a few hundred posts. Besides, the history of the Bundy you have is well known and described in my first post above.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

What does desirable have to do with vintage? Johnson your Spanish isn't too desirable. :( I had to start on a hunk of junk Buescher; not too desirable !!!! I can't see why anyone would want to collect saxophones. You guys that like to tinker are more interested in value because you don't play for a living. I think a vintage Bundy is every bit as vintage as any other saxophone. I still don't see the attraction of collecting anything. Johnson you can be as stodgy as you want and tinker. Some of us only care about playing saxophones. Don't always try to be right. Don't discourage anyone with a brand that you don't desire. Don't ever try to speak Spanish again. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Johnson your Spanish isn't too desirable. Oh that other thread? Wasn't my Spanish. It was Altavista's babblefish translator. You guys that like to tinker are more interested in value because you don't play for a living. I know of plenty of people who play for a living with collections far more vast than mine. This really has nothing to do with this. I like horns, I play horns. I just dont care to try to make a living off of it. Don't always try to be right. Don't discourage anyone with a brand that you don't desire. What kind of talk is that? One, there's no point in saying anything unless you think you're right. Two, I am right. Three, you are mistaken about my thoughts on Bundys. I think they're fine. They just have far more sentimental value than cash value. They do! I plan on probably aquiring a number of them over the next few years to fuel my repair hobby. Four, Here's some more of my spanish: "He-he, he-he, Spaghetti!"

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

BTW, that last post what intended most light-heartedly, Terry. :)

Reply To Post

4. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

I don't know how Terry's taking it, but you're cracking *me* up big time... ;-)

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

I don't know how Terry's taking it, but you're cracking *me* up big time... ;-) Thanks. :)

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Johnson you know I'm lighthearted too. :) I was just having fun with the Spanish thing. The only time I'm really serious is when I talk about playing. I don't know anything about saxophones other than my own three. Johnson how far from Chicago are you? I used to go to Wisconsin to ski when I was a kid. The place was called Wilmot. Good luck with your repair endeavors. :)

7. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

LOL who cares if a collector doesnt want an older bundy, that doesnt mean its not vintage, the word vintage has nothing to do with the demand of a product, it's a description of age, look it up.

Reply To Post

8. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

johnson you're another one of those im right and the whole world is wrong, my opinion is the only one that matters type of guy huh, maybe you should get a life or get laid one. You definately are the kind of person i was referring to on my post in the vintage horns forum.

Reply To Post

9. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Fortunately for me, i dont need to boost my ego on an internet forum because i play regularly and the applause from audiences is good enough for me :)

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

It takes a big man to post that kind of thing from the dank comforts of your parents basement. johnson you're another one of those im right and the whole world is wrong, my opinion is the only one that matters type of guy huh, Funny, I don't see you pimping anyone elses opinions except your own. maybe you should get a life or get laid one I have a house and a wife. You have penis envy. I win.

Reply To Post

11. by saxplaya81
          (110 posts)

18 years ago

Hate to shatter your attempted insult, but you have no clue who you are talking to or what kind of tough guy i really am. Im finishing a 5 year tour of duty with the marines and ive been on an 8 month deployment to fallujah, iraq, ive done and seen things that will make you piss your pants, you know that whole battle of fallujah thing in nov 2004, yeah while you were reading about it i was there pally, so dont think your little tough guy attitude impresses me or anybody else, oh and p.s. I live in a $400,000 town home in southern cali with my wife and kid. And usually the guys that talk about their penis are the ones that are lacking.....right?

Reply To Post

12. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Hate to shatter your attempted insult, but you have no clue who you are talking to or what kind of tough guy i really am. Heh, you started with the suppositions about me. And about the fallujah non-sequiter: I really don't care, It doesn't make you special.

Reply To Post

13. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

WTF?

Do you guys actually *read* what you've written before you hit the 'POST' button? This thread and the Selmer VI one have degenerated into totally infantile pissing matches, and mainly over people having expressed themselves badly. Remember: in cyberspace no one can see you smile (or hear you chuckle, or whatever)... I'm a just a little bit too young to be an old hippie, but I really think some of you folks need to chill out a LOT. When you write a reply, try to read it as if someone else had written it, OK? THEN you can hit the POST button...

Reply To Post

14. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: WTF?

I have a nice vintage story to tell. i remember when I dropped some acid and I came home at about dawn. The birds were singing so I picked up a horn and was jamming with them. I was just a teenager at the time. My parents put up with a lot from me :) When I wanted the two MK VI's my dad swung the deal for me. Where does the time go? :) My MK VI's are just horns and nothing more. I was trying to explain that the vintage thing falls on deaf ears in my house.