Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
18 years ago

saxophone quartet

I'm looking to possibly form a saxophone quartet at my high school. It will probably be AATB, but I'm trying to get a soprano saxophone so I can have a SATB. Finding the group isn't the hard part, but finding good music to play is. I'm looking for medium to difficult stuff to play. Is there any good music out there for saxophone quartet? Have any of you done any quartets like this for solo and ensemble contest? Is there any good popular music (jazz, etc.) arrangements for saxophone quartet?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by freshmansax
    (3 posts)

17 years ago

Re: saxophone quartet

im partial to Quartor pour Saxophones myself, i enjoy the 4th movt. (actually performing the 4th playing tenor this saturday for solo and ensemble)

Reply To Post

2. by gottydot
    (41 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, I had a sax quartet last year, and a great/semi-difficult piece that we played was The Pink Panther. The arrangement we had was AATB. It's a great song, that everyone should know.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

i also have a q-tet. I got my music from: sibeliusmusic.com globalviewmusic.com saxtetpublications.com all but one of these are SATB Global View Music has a cool arrangement of 4 spy themes: Pink Panther, Secret Agent Man, James Bond, and Mission Impossible. The song itself is called 60's Spy Theme Medley. Have fun w/your quartet!

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

we played stars and striped forever. i know, its kind of a lame chart, but the sax quartet was really fun. satb

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Joe Hamilton
      (8 posts)

18 years ago

hey im also doing a quartet this year. I have tons of music I can send you, its SATB and AATB. some great songs in there.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Scrythe
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

in my sophomore year, we played a AATB called Saxophone Symphonette. Grade 6, we got a superior at state with it. it's really fun to play. We also played The Pink Panther. When the saints go marching in is okay. Fly me to the moon, a SATB, is pretty difficult. One part goes into 3/4 and it's very hared to line up. We tried playing a 7 this year called Three times four, a SATB. That song is almost impossible. All the parts have the same rythms but they are so tricky and the fingerings are extremely difficult.

Reply To Post

5. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Contact Dorn Publications at www.dornpub.com They have a great catalog of both AATB and SATB material and can probably make some good recommendations.

Reply To Post

6. by Eric_tenor
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

If you are looking for some hard pieces, Andante et scherzo By Bozza. ( I love anything by bozza, tho) and Prelude and polka by Dvorak. Those are two good classical pieces that sound really cool. :)

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

17 years ago

actually, i have a bunch of stuff that i've written, if you want to check some of it out, just e-mail me if you want to hear some of them saxjunkie

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

17 years ago

oh, yeah, you can find the titles of my songs in my profile

Reply To Post

1. by rachel92491
          (28 posts)

17 years ago

there is a really pretty one we played in class called waltz. its an AATB, A1 has a wonderful solo for alto. its really beautiful. its pretty intermediate though

Reply To Post