Saxophone Forum

by gottydot
(41 posts)
18 years ago

C melody help!!!

Does anyone have information on a Lyon & Healy C Melody sax? It's a stencil, and its gold plated. My dad is thinking of buying one, but he needs some information on it. Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ps
    (35 posts)

18 years ago

Re: C melody help!!!

I bought a Lyon and Healy C melody off ebay a while ago thinking it was a Bb tenor. It had soldered tone holes so it was likely a Martin. Luckily I was able to sell it to a instrument repair store. They rebuilt the horn and man it was beautiful and played great. They sold it to a country player who was very pleased with the horn.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Jazzgal, The C melody voicing is horrible. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by gottydot
      (41 posts)

18 years ago

Do you mean how it sounds? I played one, a buescher, and my dad loved it. He said it sounded unique.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

C Melodies in general have somewhat of a bad reputation, and unrightly so. They CAN be great playing horns with intonation as good as most tenor and alto saxophones of the time. The Lyon and Healy C Melodies were great horns. They were made by Buescher, and they are similar to the Buescher True Tone model. With a more modern C Melody mouthpiece, (bass clarinet reeds work great!) fresh resonator pads, and some adjustment, the old C Melodies can really sing, and they have a unique sound. They are becoming more and more popular among collectors, and even some famous names are playing them today. There has been such an interest in C Melody horns that companies have researched the idea of marketing a NEW C Melody horn. There are several accessories now available; though somewhat hard to find in most music stores. If you search (yahoo or google) C Melody Saxophone, I'm sure you will find a few great sites! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

I concur. Additionally, some Lyon and Healy horns were made by Martin ("American Professional"), with the soldered tone holes being a distinguishing feature.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Right. Most of the Lyon and Healy alto and soprano horns were made by Martin; GREAT horns. To the best of my knowledge, the C Melody saxophones, tenors and few baritones that were sold under the Lyon and Healy name were made by Buescher. Also, Lyon and Healy did make a few horns of their own, although I believe they were all alto and soprano models as well.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by charless9833
        (7 posts)

18 years ago

DEAR JAMTERRY: IF YOU THINK A C MEL HAS TERRIBLE VOICING, YOU AREN'T USING THE PROPER MOUTHPIECE/ REED COMBO. MOST C MEL MOUTH PIECES ARE STUFFY. USE A SHORT SHANK TENOR WITH A MED CHAMBER TO GET THE RIGHT VOLUME. C MELS SOUND GREAT IF USED PROPERLY. CHARLIE

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Jim, I had a Lyon and Healy C-mel in the shop last year that looked like a King stencil including the conical key cups, the round holes in the alt. F# guard and the compound linkage on the neck's octave key. Even the rings on the body to bow and bow to bell joints looked like those on the Kings. Most I've seen screamed Buescher though.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
            (100 posts)

18 years ago

Most C melody's should be acceptable players and some downright wonderful. There are a host of new mouthpieces and reeds available now including, Runyon, Beechler, Zinner and Aquilasax, which are available online only. MPC possition on the neck seems to make the biggest differencce in playability. And the key makes sense!

Reply To Post

1. by jazzears
              (12 posts)

18 years ago

I bought a Conn New Wonder Series I straight-necked c-mel about six months ago, and it's a fabulous old horn. I believe their bad rap is largely due to the problem of trying to match contemporary reeds with vintage mouthpieces. Initially, my horn was stuffy and poorly intonated. But with a modern Beechler mouthpiece and Bb tenor reeds, it has a wonderful sound--very open throughout its range, and very well intonated, too. It isn't quite as bright as my alto, and not quite as husky as my tenor. Yet it's capable of sounding very light and lyrical or amazingly dark and moody. It has a tremendous bottom! It seems to me to be a pretty versatile little horn. I'm a hobby player, and mostly play jazz guitar these days. The c-mel allows me to play out of any of my fake books without transposition, which some pianists or guitarists will find useful. The sheer craftsmanship that went into the horn is incredible. The tenor player in my rehearsal band has played my c-mel several times, and he can really make it sing. Finally, the horn gives me one last bit of ownership pleasure: I sometimes place it on its stand and just admire it for the beautiful piece of silver plated and gold washed sculptural art that it is. C-mels are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, and they are capable of being great-sounding instruments. They probably won't ever find total acceptance, but I'm completely happy with mine. I say "Go for it."

Reply To Post