Saxophone Forum

by rokono11
(3 posts)
18 years ago

In search of a NECK

Hi. I've got a 30's Buescher Aristocrat alto that needs a neck. Help! Thanks, -m

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: In search of a NECK

theres always ebay, that would be my best guess for speed and cost.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

You may have to buy another Aristocrat that may not be in the best condition that is available cheaply in order to get a neck. Ebay may have some horns with missing pieces but with a neck, that can be had cheap enough. Other than that, it can be difficult.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I believe some people make custom necks, but that could be expensive. Anyone got the names of the companies that make them?

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I think that a Phil Barone neck is ok. It goes for about $350. There are Stephan Boesken necks, but they cost around $800. I think that you should look for a junk horn and use that neck. There must be some junk aristocrats for sale on ebay. Good luck with that. Just out of curiosity, how did you lose your neck or buy a horn without a neck? I don't know why people like to tinker with musical instruments. I wish you all the best :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by rokono11
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

jamterry- I actually found this wonderful horn in a pawn shop. In the short time it was in the shop, someone there gave the wrong case and neck to a customer that bought another horn. Still, I couldn't pass this beauty up. (especially for the price- the pawn shop had no idea what it was) It's in such gorgeous shape; 99% org. lacquer, no damage. All of the org. pearl keys and rollers are present. It's a gem. I've thought about a custom neck...but that can be pricey. Perhaps I'll go that way when I earn it as a player. For now, what do you guys think about getting a neck from an old Elkhart?? Those lesser horns seem to be readily available and I've heard they used the same tooling, just a lesser quality brass. Even those old student horns can be better than many modern intermediate ones. I wonder if it would compromise sound. Thoughts??

Reply To Post

2. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

18 years ago

I found a '55 Aristo with "400"style inside bell keys on ebay w/o a neck, for $70! I had an Elkhart neck and took a chance, and with new pads it's quite a hit. My Tech was amazed by the sound, and it's getting as much air time as my Mark VI. Mike

Reply To Post