Saxophone Forum

by tofer_million
(5 posts)
18 years ago

good mouthpiece for my horn

I am playing a yamaha yas-62 II which is a rather bright sounding horn and am looking for a good mouth piece to match it. I old instructor was big into classical and started me of with a C* and unfortunatly with the bright horn and dark mouth piece my tone is rather dull. I am looking for something to really brighten it up with loosing the projectory of the horn and my ability to play in all ocatves loud and with decent tone( despite the dullnes.) If anybody has a recomendation it would be greatly appreciated becasue there is a large variaty online but i need some opinions. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

Re: good mouthpiece for my horn

I do a fair share of playing on a first generation 62 alto (I have a Mark VI as well, but the 62 is my all-purpose horn) and have found the Morgan Excalibur to be a piece which could suit your purposes. If it ends up being too bright, then a Meyer is a good all-purpose setup. I would recommend staying away from mouthpieces that have something other than a round chamber . . . for a better explanation of why I feel this way, you can check out my response to the discussion thread "Totally Baffled" in the jazz saxophone category on this site. I have also written a very thorough two-part article for www.saxophone.us entitled "Mouthpieces and the Working Saxophonist." If you decide to check that out, it is on the "Lessons Learned" page . . . Best of luck.

Reply To Post

2. by saxyguy92
    (1 post)

18 years ago

i would try a jody jazz HR, they are very bright and work well for me

Reply To Post AIM

3. by tenormadness
    (6 posts)

17 years ago

You might want to try a metal Otto Link. I play an older YTS-62 with a Link STM 7 with Alexander "DC" 3.5 reeds. Control seems OK, and I can project pretty well with the set-up. It's hard work on altissimo, but that's due to me, not the horn! Good luck!

Reply To Post

4. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

You can't go wrong with a Meyer 5, IMHO.

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

18 years ago

I think Vandoren pieces work really well for that. I had a really bright horn and kept trying darker pieces on it, but then I got a Vandoren Jumbo Java and it worked out really well, since they're both brigher. Go to a music shop and try out some Vandoren pieces, they rock. Not to mention they're inexpensive, also...

Reply To Post

1. by yoonshik95
        (1 post)

17 years ago

I bought A55 Jumbo java mouthpiece. It looks great but I don't know how to make a god sound. The reed is Java 3. I feel air leak between the reed and the mouthpiece. Is there any special handling? How to make a better sound without hissing? Thank you in advance.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

The A55 Vandoren piece is a pretty big tip opening for alto. You might want to try a 2.5 or 2 reed on it...Bigger tip openings=Softer reeds...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Also think about trying Runyons...it might be a bit hard going from a C* to a Jumbo Java FYI...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Try a regular Vandoren Java, too (T45 or T55). They're much mellower than the Jumbos...

Reply To Post

2. by spifster
      (67 posts)

18 years ago

ack... runyons, in my opinion, sound awful on that horn, i also play a 62. I'll second the Meyer suggestion, but I'll also input the hard rubber link, and I've heard JodyJazz hr is good too, though i haven't played that one. i play a link 6*, which can get fairly loud, but my teacher plays a 8 on a custom z that sounds pretty wonderful too. i like the link on yamaha with a lavoz reed, vandoren java can sound too metallic.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I agree 100% with EVERYTHING Spifster said! I'd recommend either the Meyer 5M (GREAT mouthpiece, I use one on soprano), the Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber piece, which is the piece I use on alto. The Jody Jazz HR pieces are fantastic also, and so are the Ponzol mouthpieces.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

I'm a big fan of many Runyon mouthpieces, but they all tend to be on the bright side. Coupled with an already bright horn like the YAS62II and I agree, you don't have enough body to the sound. As everyone seems to concur, you should find a darker, large or medium large bore rubber piece to balance everything out nicely.

Reply To Post

1. by JimF
            (9 posts)

18 years ago

An Otto Link Tenney Slant 7 with Rico Jazz 2 Medium filed reeds works well for me.

Reply To Post

2. by tofer_million
            (5 posts)

18 years ago

I am more of a bepop and big band sort of player. I am not much into the new stuff. I have been told to use a meyer or other hard rubber mouthpiece. Can you give some suggestions based on that info.

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
            (575 posts)

18 years ago

I'd recommend that you at least sample the Jody Jazz HR, and Ralph Morgan Jazz mouthpieces. Both are grea playing and sounding, and very nicely made and finished for a reasonable price. Much better quality control than the current production, JJ Babbitt/ Meyer pieces.

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
            (575 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry, grea=great. Mark, we really need to be able to edit our own posts on this forum.

Reply To Post