Saxophone Forum

by gazoobi
(3 posts)
18 years ago

¿Chu Berry?

Is this a Chu Berry or New Wonder, and what year? Anyone know? Pat 1914 1119 54 T M198313 L

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: ¿Chu Berry?

Your New Wonder II Tenor was made in 1927/28 judging by the serial number (range of approximately: s/n 143xxx to 237xxx; 1924 to 1930). The term "Chu Berry" is an affection derived from Lester Young's preference for a Conn Transitional (the actual horn played by Leon "Chew" Berry -and Prez-, NOT a plain New Wonder II). His bandmates used to rib him for playing an, at that time, somewhat outdated model by saying "There goes Prez playing that old "Chu Berry" horn of his. New Wonder seris I horns, although often misidentified as such, are not actually Chu Berry horns, although again the name was never used or applied by Conn LTD; and if one is to be correct in naming a horn after him, it should actually be a Transitional model. The patent date is simply for the William Haynes drawn tone hole process used in the manufacture and not the date it was made.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

I should also mention that the term Transitional was never used by Conn LTD. either, and was applied by modern collectors to identify many horns made in interim period between the New Wonder Series II models and the introduction of the new, Artist "Naked Lady" models (beginning around 1930 or so). Typically, the Transitional models incorporate characteristics of both models in one horn as the change in design was implemented.

Reply To Post

1. by gazoobi
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Big thanks for the info, saxismyaxe. So I'm blowing a New Wonder II that's older than I am, and I'm old. Any idea what the horn is worth? It is recently rebuilt by Northwest Winds in Seattle, with resonator pads. I use a WolfeTayne 6. The horn's laquer finish is partly worn off, but it plays like a dream.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Gazoobi, These horns are very good sounding and highly regarded by many. Although the keywork isn't as slick as the Artist "Lady Face" models that followed them, some like the slightly bigger bore and great flexibility that they offer. They aren't usually priced as high as the 6M/10M/12M horns, unless they have special "artist" grade engraving and are silver or gold plate, but one can usually buy them for under a grand in good working order. You should find your horn to be capable of anything you might want from a good, pro Saxophone.

Reply To Post

2. by gazoobi
          (3 posts)

18 years ago

Re: No Chu Berry but that's OK, it still wails.

Again, thanks for the info, saxismyaxe. Considering that after all we've been through together, I could never bring myself to sell this saxophone, maybe it's a blessing that it would bring less than a grand. Not so much pressure in hard times.

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Re: No Chu Berry but that's OK, it still wails.

What these horns may lack in terms of modern ergonomics, they more than make up for in tone and craftsmanship.

Reply To Post