Saxophone Forum

by swingstreet
(315 posts)
18 years ago

What are your favorite sax solos?

What are your favorite sax solos by which artists? Which solos do you find are not only a pleasure to listen to, but inspirational in your approach to playing the horn. My list is: Benny Carter-Blue Star and Cottontail from Further Definitions One Morning In May from Aspects Blues In My Heart from Group Sessions with Art Tatum Johnny Hodges-Prelude To A Kiss from Ellington Indigos Squatty-Roo with Dizzy Gillespie Lee Konitz-Blues For Bird Paul Desmond-All The Things You Are with Gerry Mulligan I Get A Kick Out Of You from East Of The Sun Cannonball Adderley-Dat Dere Poor Butterfly Sonny Stitt on Tenor-Don't Get Around Much Anymore Easy Living Art Pepper-You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To and Imagination from Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section This list can and will get bigger, but that's enough for now. Let's know what yours are.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mactenor
    (102 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What are your favorite sax solos?

"Body and Soul" Coleman Hawkins "Unforgettable" Pete Christlieb "Intermission Riff" Vido Musso "Rebel Rouser" Gil Bernal "Desiifinado" Stan Getz "Hand Clappin'" Red Prysock Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

What an excellent question. Mine are as follows: "Dark Eyes" Stan Getz (The Artistry of Stan Getz, Volume 2) "Dark Eyes" Sonny Stitt (The Artistry of Stan Getz, Volume 2) "Naima" John Coltrane "All the Things You Are" Stan Getz (The Artistry of Stan Getz, Volume 2) "Take Five" Paul Desmond "Art House Soft Leg Incident" Andy Sheppard "Cherokee" Stan Getz (The Artistry of Stan Getz, volume 2) I can't remember any more right off the bat but I will chime in again. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, I'm back and have a few more of my favorite axe grinders' solos: Cannonball Adderley: Limehouse Blues Coleman Hawkins: Samba Para Bean Stan Getz: Desafinado Charlie Parker: A Night in Tunisia Eddie Daniels: Under the Wire (clarinet solo on the Big Phat Band) Gerald Albright: Georgia on My Mind (Live at Birdland West) Coleman Hawkins: Body and Soul (1939) Lucky Thompson: Walkin' (The Miles Davis All Stars) Paul Gonsalves: Dimuendo & Crescendo (Ellington at Newport 1956) Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt: Blues Up & Down (Boss Tenors) John Coltrane: Giant Steps Those are just a few more of my inspiration. Many more out there. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

2. by allthewoodwinds
      (12 posts)

16 years ago

Don Menza - March to Polaris (Adventures in Time; Stan Kenton) Don Menza - Acid Truth (Mercy, Mercy) Don Menza - Goodbye Yesterday (Mercy, Mercy) Don Menza - Stargazer (Les Demerle) Don Menza - Intimacy of the Blues (The Louie Bellson Explosion) Don Menza and Pete Christlieb - La Banda Grande (The Louie Bellson Explosion) Pete Christlieb - Now and Then (The Louie Bellson 7 at the Concord Jazz Festival) Pat Labarbera - Time Check (Roar of '74) Pat Labarbera - Rivers (Dave McMurdo BIg Band 1989) Pat Labarbera - So What! (John Labarbera Big Band) Steve Marcus - Groovin' Hard (Burnin' For Buddy) Steve Marcus - Time Check (Buddy Rich Live at the 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival) Bob Mintzer - Sax of Gold (Sax Assault) Richie Cole - Cole's Nocturne (Alto Madness) Richie Cole - Harold's House of Jazz (with eric Kloss) Phil Woods - Sun Suite (The New Phil Woods Album) Phil Woods - Images (Images; Michel Legrand Orchestra) Phil Woods - Chelsea Bridge (The New Phil Woods Album) Hank Mobley - This I Dig of You Paul Desmond - Concierto (Concierto; Jim Hall 1975) Pepper Adams and Bill Perkins - Dylan's Delight (Frontline 1978) Roy Reynolds - Roy's Blues (Fire, Fury and Fun; Stan Kenton) Gregory Herbert - Greetings and Salutations (Thad Jones-Mel Lewis; NEW LIFE) John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy - Impressions (The World According to John Coltrane) Andy Fusco - Hookin' It (Buddy Rich Live at the 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival) Andy Fusco - Grand Concourse Gary Foster - Warning! Success May Be Hazardous to Your Health (Toshiko-Tabackin Big Band; ROAD TIME) Pete King - L Dopa (Maynard Ferguson; MF HORN) Stan Robinson - Mother (Maynard Ferguson; MF HORN 2)

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

one of my favorites was played by bob mintzer i believe. its when he played with buddy rich on his live album. track: Channel 1 suite

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by brecker|turrentine
        (11 posts)

18 years ago

cabin fever - michael brecker giant steps- john coltrane desafinado- stan getz delta city blue - michael brecker sugar- stanley turrentine willow weep for me- stanley turrentine

Reply To Post AIM

1. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Here are some more: Johnny Hodges-Used To Be Duke Charlie Parker-The Bird, KC Blues Cannonball Adderley-Freddie Freeloader Jimmy Dorsey-Oodles Of Noodles Paul Desmond-Bag's New Groove Frankie Trumbauer-Trumbology, Singing The Blues Lester Young-Ad Lib Blues

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

18 years ago

There are so many on my list, I can't remember them all . . . but here's just a few: Hank Mobley: Tenor Conclave Cannonball Adderley: Del Sasser Michael Brecker: Naima Tubby Hayes: Cherokee Walt Weiskopf: Heads in the Clouds Eric Alexander: What a Difference a Day Makes Tom Scott: So White and So Funky Brandon Fields: Undercover

Reply To Post

3. by EJ
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Wilton Felder-Street Life on Street Life CD

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Don Menza w/Buddy Rich band- Channel 1 Suite (the middle part)

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
            (132 posts)

18 years ago

Don Menza - Channel 1 Suite Michael Brecker - Broadband Chris Potter - Boogie Stop Shuffle Bob Mintzer (w/ Saxology) - Dolphin Dance Dexter Gordon - Darn that Dream - Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry -Body and Soul Jamie Oehlers - Protest (Aussie saxophonist, won world sax competition in 2003) Kenny Garrett - Beyond the Wall Pharoah Sanders - Naima John Coltrane - Expression - Pursuance -Ogunde - To Be and many many others... Sean

Reply To Post

1. by bigred
              (43 posts)

18 years ago

One's I can play Lester Young- "Every Tub" Coleman Hawkins- "Body and Soul" Sonny Stitt-"For Some Friends" Sonny Rollins- "St. Thomas" One's I WISH I could play! Any Brecker solo Coltrane- "giants steps" and everthing else Sonny Stitt and Sonny Rollins- The Tenor Duel on "The Eternal Triangle" Any Chris Potter and Eric Alexander

Reply To Post

2. by bigred
              (43 posts)

18 years ago

One's I learned by ear Lester Young- "Every Tub" Coleman Hawkins- "Body and Soul" Sonny Stitt-"For Some Friends" Sonny Rollins- "St. Thomas" One's I WISH I could play! Any Brecker solo Coltrane- "giants steps" and everthing else Sonny Stitt and Sonny Rollins- The Tenor Duel on "The Eternal Triangle" Any Chris Potter and Eric Alexander

Reply To Post

3. by jazzears
              (12 posts)

18 years ago

My favorite sax solo is often the one I'm listening to at the moment, and the one I'm listening to at THIS moment is Ben Webster's breathy, vibrato-rich first chorus on "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To." ...But how can a sax lover really choose? There are so many great solos out there.

Reply To Post

4. by threetenors
              (18 posts)

18 years ago

Blue rondo a la turk- Paul Desmond On the sunny side of the street -Sonny Stitt Marmaduke -Charlie Parker Giant steps -John Coltrane So what -Coltrane I've just seen her- Paul Gonslaves I also agree with jazzears though, about the fact that there are so many amazing solos out there... it can be difficult to think of your favorites

Reply To Post

5. by swingstreet
              (315 posts)

18 years ago

Exactly, there are too many great solos out there. So the point of this post would be to list the ones you hear on an ongoing basis. It's also a good way for all of us to check out pieces we may not have heard yet.

Reply To Post

6. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

18 years ago

try Giants at Play whole album great Phil Woods, with John Coates piano

Reply To Post

7. by LolJellys
              (8 posts)

17 years ago

Is a interesting and estimulant question, but i think the word "favourite" always build frontiers, but anyway here is my list: Sax Solos: -Kenny Garrett-Equinox (Pursuance: The Music of John Coltrane) -Branford Marsalis-Judas Iscariot (The Dark Keys) -Bobby Watson -Lemoncello (Horizon Reassembled) Trumpet Solos: -Wynton Marsalis-Talkin' and Laughin' (Branford Marsalis: Romare Bearden Revealed) -Dizzy Gillespie-Be Bop (Live recording, sorry i don't know the exact date) Piano Solos: Chucho Valdes-Yemaya (Irakere: Yemaya) Joey Calderazzo: Pest (In The Door) Drums Solo: Elvin Jones-Doll Of The Bride (In Europe)

Reply To Post

2. by Dark Eyes
            (138 posts)

17 years ago

I really enjoy Booker Ervin's solo on the original Boogie Stop Shuffle. He has a really interesting tone and that was a unique solo. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

3. by jazzears
            (12 posts)

17 years ago

For a couple of days, I've been listening to an album by Steve Wilkerson. The title cut on the album is "Shaw 'Nuff", but the solo work on every piece seems very good to me. He happens to be playing bari on this album, but I believe any player would be inspired by his command of the instrument. He never seems to repeat himself, he seems to be all over the instrument, and at times he strings together an absolute blizzard of notes. Yet, it all sounds very easy on the ears to me. He obviously has superlative technical chops, and a particularly good sense of how to work through the chords. In spite of the occasional lightning pace, he makes it all 'lay' very nicely over the rest of the band at all times. Check it out!

Reply To Post

4. by Stiles B
            (101 posts)

17 years ago

Granted, I skimmed through most everyones lists, but I did seem to notice that most of the favorites featured bop and post bop type players. Which I do love as well. But not a lot of avante garde or free type players. Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Dave Liebman are also players and soloists that I enjoy listening to but admittedly they are an " acquired taste. Also not a lot of traditional blues players. And I want to assure folks that I'm not trying to start an argument, rather just making an observation. Perhaps a good topic for discussion? That is quite an interesting profile, Jelly

Reply To Post