Saxophone Forum

by Pressure Drop
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Richie Cannata's Mouthpiece?

Hey, I was wondering if anybody on here knew offhand the type of mouthpiece Richie Cannata uses on his tenor? In case you don't quite know who he is, Cannata was Billy Joel's sax player from '75 to '81. I linked a video so you can hear/see what he's using. Any help would be greatly appreciated. tinyurl.com/hvbgw

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by papa_smurf
    (6 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Richie Cannata's Mouthpiece?

That's a very young Mark Rivera on the sax in the clip... no idea what mouthpiece sorry but his soprano sax solo in that same song on Billy's 1991 Australia tour sent me off to the store to try/buy a soprano... lol gotta blame someone! I believe Rich returned for some gigs with Billy in the late 90's and early 00's but only as guest on a few songs... eg on the Millenium Concert cd I think. You could always write & ask him: www.markrivera.com Hope this helps :)

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

since it wasnt richie Cannata in the movie, I cant tell you what he' playing on. but the player in the movie is playing a metal berg on tenor, you can get a better look of it in the photo gallery on his site, he's playing it with a Rovner Eddie Daniels lig too. Cant tell what size it is though

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by rogerb416
    (1 post)

5 years ago

Hello to all,  
     Being a good friend of Richie’s and having helped him get a few of his horns and mouthpieces in the day I can answer this. In the past Richie was using a NY Meyer rubber 6M on tenor always. In about 1997 or so I turned him onto Peter Ponzol metal M2/120 mpc with a Rico Plasticoat reed size 4. He was playing with the Beach Boys at the time and I handed him this mpc at the concert. Honest truth, he tried it and was so delighted he went out and played the whole concert with it and never went back to Meyer that I know. Peter does not make this mpc anymore, but I do know that Richie ordered another as a backup. You can call him at the studio, and I promise he will confirm this story. Have not talked with him in a few months but I am sure its still the same. 

Reply To Post