Saxophone Forum

by Sherwood
(1 post)
18 years ago

Borderline Selmr serial numbers

Hey all, this is my first post here. I wanted to get everyone's (presumed) expert opinion on a question I've had for a few years. About seven years ago I purchased a vintage selmer alto that I absolutely love. It has a great silver plate, great original condition, etc. It was sold to me as a Mark VI, but a very early one. I was just over at Selmer's serial number chart, and noticed that this horn falls on the wrong side of the Super Action/ Mark VI line. Specifically, it is 20 digits shy of the supposed beginning of Mark VI's (55201). The chart there references that "The Serial Number listed is the last one of the year." But the horn looks exactly like a Mark VI. Problem is, as far as I can tell, it also looks exactly like a late Super Balanced Action. Is there any way to settle my anguish over my horn? Any distinguishing marking that only belong to one or the other model? I appreciate your help, gentlemen (and ladies)..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Borderline Selmr serial numbers

All of the published serial number charts (including the ones on my website) are approximate at best. If it's a VI, the low Bb key touch is hinged. The neck octave key will be of the distinct VI style, not the "two wire" variety. There are other ques, but those are easy to see. During the early days of production, SBA style parts were often used on VI horns.

Reply To Post