Saxophone Forum

by funkysaxophone
(5 posts)
18 years ago

relaquer selmer Reference alto sax

Hi, My Selmer Reference alto sax has brown spots, i have the option to relaquer or get a new one. My current sax is a great one, it took a few months to get this great sax and i'm afraid that it will take again so long to get a new one. When the sax is relaquered it will be done at the Selmer factory in france. What can i expect whith the relaquering?, is the sound influenced and can you see that the sax is relaquered? What should i do, relaquer or get a new one?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: relaquer selmer Reference alto sax

why do you want to do either. why dont you just let it go? eventually every horn will have laquerware. thats just how it works.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

hehe laquer wear.... you wanna see my horns? then we'll talk about laquer wear! seriously, I wouldnt worry about the laquer wear

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

well this depends, and there are a few threads on this matter and many opinons both on this forum and with players. There are two camps from what I can tell. One camp says it makes no difference, another says it makes a big difference. I'm of the opinon that it dosen't IF there is no or minimal buffing on the horn before new laquer is put on. However, the engravings will be covered (as in they will look gold instead of bare metal)... I guess we need a little more info, is Selmer willing to cover this cost or replace it? I mean this is a new horn and this was a lot of money and you should be able to expect something you paid that money for. However, (my opinon) the color (or discolor) adds something to the horn, to the story, and since it plays well... I really wouldn't mess around with it too much. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

all that needs to be said is look at breckers horn

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by funkysaxophone
    (5 posts)

18 years ago

Some more information.., on some places with the spots also the laquer is coming off the sax, also the places where the brown/ grey spot exists are getting bigger and spreading over the the neck and from soldering points over the body of the saxophone. When i want to change this sax to a new one, then my local dealer will do this for me and he pays for it, the re-laquering is covered by the garantee

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

If the horn is new, I would ask for a replacement. You paid more for that horn than I paid for two new MK VI's. Make them stand by their guarantee. My horns are 40+ years old and the lacquer is going, but if your horn is new , get another one. Michael Brecker's horn isn't new. Don't do a relacquer. If you can't get a new one, you will get used to the worn spots.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Plain and simply, I would have it replaced. If the ref ends up being a valueable vintage horn, even a factory relaq will bring value down. On the more pragmatic side, even though this horn plays well now, it may not play well after the relacquer. No, the relac won't do it, but to relacquer they'll need to completely strip the horn down, replace all pads and felts, etc. From what I gather the Refs all play very well once setup is all squared away, but the setup from Selmer's factory has reputed to be inconsistent.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I always take my horns to Paul Maslin in Chicago for setup.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

I worked in an overhaul shop and still do an occasional relaquer. When most horns get relaquered it is because they are worn and dented. We always took the dents out before lacquering. Does this change the sound? Yes! for the better. If your horn is new with bad lacquer stripping the horn and relaquering will not change the sound. The new pads and corks may change the sound! Anyone who has been around a manufacturer knows that due to a variety of reasons a lacquered horn may get stripped and buffed a few times before it is sold as "new" Ifit is under warranty go for the new horn. If only covered by repair/relacquer...go for it. Matt

Reply To Post

2. by Lefty
          (21 posts)

17 years ago

I, too, have worked in shops where refinishing was done. I don't want to enter on either side of the arguement; it must be understood that ANYTHING you do to the horn will change the sound, even repadding, as someone said in an earlier post. And as Matt says, if a new horn is free, that might be hard to pass up. If the offer is only to refinish it, and it is to be done in Paris, by the time it gets there, gets done, and gets back to you, you will have forgotten what it originally played like. And please don't take this as a put-down of you. It won't get done overnight. Lefty

Reply To Post

3. by funkysaxophone
          (5 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks guys, i have enough information right now. I will get a new saxophone because it's covered by garantee. I have an other question regarding resonators. Right now i have on my saxophone black roopads with gold plated noyek resonators. I like the roopads but the noyeks i do not like, the sound is too "round". What type of resonator can i use to get a more aggressive/ emotional and full sound? Thanks, Eric

Reply To Post