Saxophone Forum

by SaxGirlChlo
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Call me crazy....

Ok so like for the past month I've noticed this annoying problem and I think I'm losing my mind or something...Whenever I'm playing like, pretty loud on a middle E (and F but not as bad) I keep hearing like...a lower note coming out that sounds an octave lower. I've tried different mouthpieces and reeds and it doesn't do anything. I thought it was a leak maybe but I can pretty much whisper a low Bb out... But the crazy thing is it seems like I'M the only one that can hear it. I let my friend try it and he said he can "kind of" hear it. Any tips on stuff to check for? P.S. I did try it on another horn and it doesn't do it so I don't think it's me :-(

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Call me crazy....

OK, you're crazy! ;-) Now that we have that taken care of, perhaps it's some kind of resonance with your head? Does it matter whether your mouthpiece has a soft pad/cushion on top? It's also possible something else in the room is resonating with the horn, so try taking it outside or something like that...

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

I notice it anywhere. I hear it on my Serie III but not on my YAS-23, I hear it with any mouthpiece on my III but not on my YAS-23...x_x I think I am crazy or something... Maybe I should just take it to the music store whenever they're suppose to open...argh.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

By the way the guy at Tenor Madness told me that it could be caused by a "Dirty octave vent." Maybe that would fix both our problems...

Reply To Post AIM