Saxophone Forum

by lewismorison
(1 post)
18 years ago

mk VI with cracked bell

Hi, I recently went to play a 1963 mark VI tenor. The horn was beatiful and played great. There was one problem though. It had what looked like a small crack in the lip of the bell, right in the centre. There was a small black line running straight down inside the bell. I really like the horn but am worried about buying it. Does anyone know if this is a major problem or if it could be easily repaired? Thanks for the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

17 years ago

Re: mk VI with cracked bell

I'll assume that the bell seperated at the seam. This could be repaired pretty easily, but the cosmetic work necessary to make it look "right" would be a little pricey.

Reply To Post

1. by KCHORNS_REPAIR
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

Can you see light through the crack. If not you might just be seeing the original unbroken seam. See if you can take it to someone that knows what their doing and see what they think. Scott

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

17 years ago

Does the bell sound like it's in once piece when you tap the bell with a fingernail (or something) to make a "ting" sound. There should be a difference between something sturdy and something not. and or shine light though it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM