Saxophone Forum

by LJMouch
(1 post)
18 years ago

Vintage sax water damaged by Katrina

I don't know if it is hopeless or not but I need some advice. My father-in-law (now passed away) was inducted into the N.O. Jazz Hall of Fame shortly after his death. He played for more than 50 years behind many great names in the famous Fairmont Hotel's Blue Room, on Bourbon Street and many other notable places. Unfortunately, Hurricane Katrina destroyed his home where his vintage alto and vintage tenor sax were stored. They were underwater for 16 days. After they were rescued from the house they were placed, still in their cases, in plastic bags to isolate the molding cases. Needless to say, this was done by a non-musician. Obviously, there is extensive damage to the finish. All pads, strings, etc will need to be replaced. My questions: Has anyone experienced this extent of needed restoration and is it even possible? He was a legend and actually gave Pete Fountain lessons when Pete was a young man. I hate to loose these instruments if it is at all possible to restore them. All comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vintage sax water damaged by Katrina

Strings? You meant springs, right? :-) I believe it is not only possible but advisable that these saxophones be restored. Somewhere in this discussion is a story about someone restoring a saxophone that had been damaged by water... but I don't have time to find it right now. Maybe someone else can scare it up and provide a link. The cases... that might be more difficult. I don't know about insurance coverage, if that could help with the restoration cost? Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

18 years ago

I'm in New Orleans, and have so far restored over 30 horns that spent various amounts of time under water. I've got another 20+ in my shop right now awaiting restoration. Since we're talking about salt water here, understand that removing the old springs and screws is a MAJOR undertaking. I would be most happy to look at your instruments. Take a look at my site www.saxgourmet.com for repair costs, client list, terms of service, etc. Understand that it won't be quick and it won't be cheap. What we're seeing here is different from usual water damage in that the corrosive sludge unleashed on horns here usually causes the springs and screws to "become one" with the posts and keywork. You can contact me via email at [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by Doc Frazier
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

We've been restoring "Katrina" horns in our shop. There are some pics on our web site. I would be happy to look at yours. HIS, Doc www.JandJWoodwinds.com 1-866-996-6394

Reply To Post