Saxophone Forum

by kf
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Mark VI Alto Sax with odd serial number

Hi I inherited a Mark VI alto sax and have done a little research about it's "provenance." What I have found is that the Selmer chronology does not seem to have a serial number for this sax. The sax says "Henri Selmer" and "made in France" and has these initials: BREV.S.G.D.G. 920653 USA Patent #2710658 #2846917 M. 227205 But I don't see a range that encompasses my serial number on the Selmer site. Do you know what the history may be on this Selmer alto sax? Thanks for your help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mark VI Alto Sax with odd serial number

I believe the number next to M. (227205) is the serial number, making the horn one of the later Mark VI altos (early '70s?). The #2710658 and #2846917 are patent numbers.

Reply To Post

1. by kf
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks! That's what I thought but the Selmer serial chart history doesn't show a range that fits my number. Check out: www.selmer.com/content/selmerparis/saxophones/serial_no.php How much do you think it's worth? It is in very good shape and needing little maintenance. KB

Reply To Post

1. by Hal
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Serial-number charts---even the manufacturers'---tend to be kind of blurry around the edges. Here's one, for instance, that would put your horn in '74 or '75: www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-serial-numbers.html As to value-----you're sure it's a Mark VI and not a Mark VII? The difference in sound may be minor, but that extra roman numeral could cost you a grand or more. If it's a late-model Mark VI in excellent condition, with little or no missing lacquer, I'd say you could get $3,500 to $4,000 for it. (Now watch for a flood of replies disagreeing with me.) If it's a Mark VII, take off at least $800.

Reply To Post

2. by saxmachine777
      (57 posts)

17 years ago

Though the issue seems resolved, I thought I'd chime in. The M227205 would be the serial in the early seventies, with the numbers marked "USA Patent" being just that. To clear up whether it is a MkVI or Mk VII, the number 920653 is the French patent number for the Mark VI, so appraise accordingly.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

17 years ago

Also, doens't it say 'Mark VI' on the ring attaching the bell to the body?

Reply To Post