Saxophone Forum

by fredok123
(1 post)
17 years ago

selmer balance-action tenor

I am new to this forum so I will keep this message brief in order to see if I'm doing this correctly. I have a selmer balanced-action serial no. 21494. Laquer is mostly gone. I like how it plays but it would probably be a good candidate for a pad job in any one else's book. it has a deco starburst design on the bell that lhas a BA at it 's center.A san fran tech says it is a balanced-action mechanically albeit an earlier on Any thoughts on the desirabllty/ worth of this instrument? Thank you, fredok123

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

17 years ago

Re: selmer balance-action tenor

The serial number indicates this is actually a very late Radio Improved model, which was right before the balanced action. The first serial # for the BA is generally listed as 21751, at least according to the charts I've seen. This might explain the tech's comment on it being an earlier model BA. As far as desirability... I have a 1937 BA tenor, SN 251xx, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the tone. I'll have to see if I can get some pics posted - it's in fabulous condition. Worth - I currently have an appraisal / insurance for $4,100. I've seen them go for lower than that, and for higher as well. I think worth for a horn that old is highly dependent on market conditions and whether or not someone is interested in THAT vintage horn. Hope this helps a bit... Eric

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Wouldn't it make sense that if it actually has a BA in the center of the engraving, it actually is a Balanced Action? The charts might have been constructed by people who weren't aware of the earlier Balanced Actions.

Reply To Post

1. by wvujazzman
        (48 posts)

17 years ago

Saxmom, I absolutely agree... the funny thing is, the chart I quoted is from the Selmer website, not one of the third party ones. I guess it just goes to show that all those charts are rather fluid at the crosspoints, which has been said by many people here before. Sorry if I wasn't clear... Eric

Reply To Post