Saxophone Forum

by Gini
(1 post)
18 years ago

1914 CONN Sax

We recently found my husbands Grandfathers trumpet and his Uncle's Sax. Both in GREAT condition, and in the cases with all the accesories! The Sax is stamped patd. Dec 8 1914 under that 1119954 under that 0 under that 70852 under that L Where do I begin to find out what they are worth or who should have them?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 1914 CONN Sax

Hi Gini, The sax is either a Conn or a Conn stencil. I think that the O under the patent number (1119954) is actually a C, indicating that this is a C Melody sax. The C melody is in between the tenor and the alto saxophone and played in the key of C, like a piano or organ. They were very popular in the early-mid 20's, and by the time of the Great Depression, they were no longer being produced. Yours would have been manufactured around 1921. The earlier C Melodies had a curved neck like a tenor. The later models had a straight neck like an alto, only longer. Yours was made right around the time that they changed this neck design. The straight-neck Conn's are more valuable. After spending several decades in the attics and closets of grandparents' homes, the C Melody saxophones have seen a revival here in recent years and have become quite popular among collectors. There are a variety of parts and accessories now available for these horns that haven't been manufactured in years, and there has even been some talk of producing new horns. One such website is www.aquilasax.com, which sells C Melody mouthpieces and reeds. The value depends highly on the condition of the horn. Most any horn that has sat for a period of time is going to need a good cleaning, pads, and some adjusting. These repairs can get quite expensive, and often many people are reluctant to pay much for a horn like this which may possibly need an overhaul. On average, C Melody horns that have recently been pulled from their closets sell for $250-$400, more for the straight-neck Conns and Buescher True Tone models which are the most popular. A horn which has been overhauled (cleaning and dent removal, new pads, corks, felt, and adjustment) will bring $800- $1250, again depending on the model. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 1914 CONN Sax

Sorry, I clicked on the link from the saxquest home page and didn't see the title until AFTER I posted! So, it IS a Conn, not a stencil.

Reply To Post Yahoo!