Saxophone Forum

by saxmasterfunk
(18 posts)
17 years ago

Mark VI?

Im still thinking on upgrading from my yas-23. I was told that mark 6's are good horns and i was wondering just how good, and if its worth the price. if not what is a good choice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Mark VI?

THe Mark VI is a great horn, but since you are familiar with the Yamaha YAS-23, I would suggest a YAS-62 series II or YAS-82Z. Yamaha makes a fantastic sax, and for the price, they are pretty hard to beat! If a vintage sax seems more appealing, try a Conn 6M, Buescher 400, or King Super 20. All generally sell for less than a vintage Mark VI, and are arguably as good or better than a Mark VI!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxmasterfunk
      (18 posts)

17 years ago

thanks. im not too picky about what i get so ill look into those.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

To get a decent Selmer Mark VI, you'll likely spend $3000+ and then have to re-pad or more. The step-up Yamaha would be half this amount? If you want a great vintage horn for the prestige of it and can afford it, the Mark VI is tough to beat overall. I've had mine for 44 years now. But if you put away $2000 today in a diversified mutual fund portfolio, it should be $30,000 or so in 30 years. Think you won't get old? Guess again and start planning now. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
      (57 posts)

17 years ago

Jim makes a valid point. I would try out the Custom Z models. They're hot little horns, you can find them at a great price barely used, and they'll have a familiar but far superior feel to the Yam that you're playing now.

Reply To Post AIM