Saxophone Forum

by guamma89
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Evette-Schaeffer Buffet Crampon tenor

As stated in my topic, I have an Evette-Schaffer, Buffet Crampon & Cie, made in France tenor sax. This is engraved on the left side of the bell. There is a fancy engraving on the front of the horn with Carl Fischer, New York. The s/n of the horn is 26337. The horn has silver keys with mother of pearl "dots." I used this horn many years ago in high school and kept it in the closet for my kids, who have now decided that playing an instrument just isn't their thing. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am trying to find out just exactly what I have here and an approximate value so I can start looking for interested buyers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send pictures to anyone interested!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Evette-Schaeffer Buffet Crampon tenor

I think what you have is a student-intermediate model horn that was made around 1977. If it's playable and in recenably good shape, it's worth $500-$750. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by guamma89
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

This horn is in absolutely beautiful condion. No dents and only a few superficial scratches. It looks as if the laquer has rubbed off of the bottom in a couple of places, but measures no more than an inch. There is another area of "laquer wear" at the neck. Also, the thumb "dot" apparently had fallen off and the person that had it before me glued it back on, so there is some glue residue around this button. Otherwise this sax is absoluately beautiful. The sax was purchased for me in 1978, but it was used at that time.

Reply To Post

2. by wvujazzman
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

Jim, How did you come upon this info? A close friend of mine has the exact horn, in excellent condition, and was looking for info on it because she's considering selling it. I haven't been able to find anything at all about it. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

There are some books and websites with serial number lists. I found a Buffet serial number list at www.drrick.com. I find most of his information to be accurate. The Buffet Crampon horns were a student-intermediate model horn, but they were quite good. The professional model horns would be the Dynaction and Super Dynaction horns. Buffet is known for their clarinets. Selmer has designed many of their saxophones and clarinets after Buffet models. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by toocold4
          (6 posts)

17 years ago

I have a similar horn, but the laquer is very worn. I too was wondering what exactly I had and found it hard to find info on it. So I just wanted to thank you guys for posting and responding to this topic.

Reply To Post Yahoo!