Saxophone Forum

by machx1
(3 posts)
18 years ago

gettin the right sound

hey! So ive been playing improv for about a year now and playing in school for 7 or 8 (junior now) and ive been trying to nail that real nice jazz sax sound but i keep getting that smooth classic effect. I guess it might be because that's what they teach you in school but anyways. Ive considered getting a metal mouthpiece, which obviously brightens it up and easily gets you that jazz sound but thats not the whole thing. There's some technique i still havent learned in getting those insane runs and getting that really nice sound. I have a friend who has a normal sax and he pulls out the craziest run and has an awesome jazz sound. so if anyone who has any advice on technique for the right sound or runs post it here. Thx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

Re: gettin the right sound

Open your throat and take a little more mouthpiece in your embrosure. That should open your sound up a lot. Also, make blowing hot air helps response, especially on low notes, and can add more edge to your sound. As far as mouthpieces go, a legit mpc is gonna get you a legit sound unless you have very good control of the instrument, so look for a good jazz piece (Meyers on alto, Links on tenor and Yanagisawas on soprano are safe).

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

18 years ago

There's been a lot of good jazz played on rubber mouthpieces. I appreciated your other response about taking more mouthpice in and etc. Since I started playing jazz and rock while I was still playing in a legit orchestra, I was sometimes admonished for my brash tone and seeming inability to not play with a lot of presence (and volume). I'm going to try taking less mouthpiece in and blowing less air to see if I sound different - course I never play legit anymore! All the rock and jazz sound out of my Mark VI tenor -for over 30 years - came out of a Selmer Soloist C*. Just recently added a rubber Link and a Soloist D to my case however. I think the artist has a lot to do with the sound produced by any mouthpiece. (But I do wonder about metal sometimes). When I was young, metal was looked down on - so I guess I'm prejudiced. Anyway - hope you get a chance to experiment more than I ever have with different mouthpieces.

Reply To Post

1. by machx1
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

thanks guys, i really never thought about trying that before, ill try it next time i go to perform, and hopefully ill get to experiment with different things. Ill definately look into meyers for that nice jazz piece, i really want a metal tho but ill experiment with both metal and rubber before buying one.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

Finally, you will go beyond the mouthpieces and reeds, etc., and arrive at a sound of your own. Hopefully.

Reply To Post