Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(4 posts)
17 years ago

Oliver Ditson vintage stencils?

Hi, does anyone know anything about Boston's music company's stencils, I have a vintage silver plate alto here with Oliver Ditson, the publishing company, engraved on the bell. If there have been other discussions, I'd be happy to read those, but I can 't figure out how to search this site. Thanks, Carol G.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Oliver Ditson vintage stencils?

Ho Carol, Do you have a serial number, and are there any other numbers engraved on the horn, most likely near the thumb rest. My guess is that the horn could be a Conn stencil. Conn had a factory in Worchester, MA for many years. It was at this factory where the very first Conn saxophones were built; so called the Worchester models. I believe Conn also had a factory store in the Boston area. Without seeing the horn, I am only guessing, but my guess is that this is a New Wonder Series I stencil horn from the early-mid 1920's. If you look at www.saxpics.com under the Conn New Wonder models, I think you will find a horn very similar to yours. You may send some pictures to my email address if you like and I will be happy to take a look. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by [email protected]
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Oliver Ditson vintage stencils?

Yo, Jim Thanks for the reply, I apologize if it seemed rude not to respond quicker. I didn't check for a response til now, thinking my reg email would notify me. Anyway, serial number is 167925 low pitch. I actually think, unless there are other companies that have this manufacutring characteristic, that it is a Martin stencil, because it has the "soft soldered beveled tone hole" that a sight you offer as a coollink says is the Martin trademark. I tried to email you some photos and a note but the email came back saying your yahoo address is non-existent. It is a beautiful old horn, and I'd love to date it but anyway, if you have any other suggestions or want to correct your email address, I'd still love to send you the pics.In any case, your link enabled me to id the horn as a Martin because of the beveled edges. So THANK YOU! I really appreciate it. Best regards, Carol G.

Reply To Post Yahoo!