Saxophone Forum

by lauraa
(2 posts)
17 years ago

cleaning the inside of a purchased used saxophone

I was told not to buy a used saxophone because of sanitary reasons and that it costs 200.00 to 500.00 dollars to have it cleaned and sterolized. I think he just wanted to sell me a new one and was trying to discourage me from buying a used one. He said he has even seen green stuff growing on the inside of a used one that had been stored for a long time because of the bacteria. This has REALLY turned me off from looking for a used one. Since I can't play nor do I own a saxophone, I would appreciate any opinions on this subject of : The cleaning of the used saxophone. Thank you,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: cleaning the inside of a purchased used saxophone

Have you ever kissed anyone? You will die of fright before you get a saxophone. Calm down and look around for a used horn that you can afford. All horns have a peculiar odor if you sniff them. It's a chemical reacation of metal and saliva. I started on a used horn and i'm still kickin' Be patient , and you will find a good used horn :) Good Luck with that :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

17 years ago

yeah, the greeen stuff is normal, even on NEW horns!! besides if you need to clean inside the bell, children do it extremely well, with those nice small arms they have Doesnt matter how old it is, the horn is perfectly safe and 200 to 500 is obscene for a 'cleaning fee'

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kennyz
    (31 posts)

17 years ago

Usually an used saxophone need some work. Partial or complete repad, springs adjust, cork regulations and a cleaning is generally included, so I suggest you to contact a good and honest techinician. But, for me, the matter is another. If you are interested for a student model saxophone maybe is better that you buy a brand new horn, otherwise compare well the price of the used saxophone with the cost of the overhaul. However to clean the outside of the sax you can use Sterisol germicide. To clean inside use a cotton swab, better made by yourself because it must to pass tightly. Damp with water and soap, pass more times. After with water only, then dry and pass a swab LIGHTLY imbued with bore oil

Reply To Post

1. by lauraa
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks guys for the laughs, the encouragement, and the fees and cleaning information! Every little bit helps. I have more desire to play a saxophone then I have the money to buy one but I see now that the guy at the music store was no help at all. Thank you again, Laura

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

The only thing you need to worry about for sanitary reasons would be the mouthpiece and the reeds... Music stores carry sanitizing spray for mouthpieces. DO NOT BOIL A HARD RUBBER MOUTHPIECE!!! Buy new reeds. Never use another person's reed.

Reply To Post

1. by rachel92491
          (28 posts)

17 years ago

or put a hard rubber mouthpiece in the dishwasher. my mom did because she thought because i put my mouthpiece next to the sink i wanted it to go throught the disherwasher. few days after it fell and shattered,

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

It looks like Rachel meant to say, DON'T put a hard rubber mouthpiece in the dishwasher. Basically the same effect as boiling it. Use vinegar and water to clean the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post