Saxophone Forum

by ccmjem
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Buescher Soprano help please?

Hi, This is a great site. My dad was a musician and would have loved all this site. He died in 1988 at 78. I am just now able to part with his sax collection. Had hoped the kids might play, but got a great pianist and a great flutist instead of sax players! I thought I would start with research on the soprano. It is a Buescher Straight Soprano 193866, Low Pitch True Tone. Does that make it a Bb? It is completely gold in color, but is that brass? Brown pads, and pearl coverings on some keys. Still has original mouthpiece I think. There are spots on the finish and I am not certain how to describe these? Has original case, but it smells old. What should I look for on it as to plus/minuses regarding condition? Any advice, insight would be thoroughly appreciated. Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Buescher Soprano help please?

It would be cool if it were gold plated - but I don't even know If Buescher did this much. It was at least very rare. You can read about what you might find in old horns & etc. at internationalsaxophone.com which is Jason Dumar's site. He gives some good info. Photos of old horns and more info. is available at saxpics.com. The things that can make a sax not worth repairing are fairly unusual to find. Twisting or bending of the body tube or deep dents would be bad to find. The rods being mangled is bad. You can check for key action up and down the stack. Do the keys all return back up quickly? Pads are unlikely to still be good, but could be. Sopranos are Bb instruments. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Oh yeah, saxes are usually brass and recently usually lacquered to protect the brass, although silver plating is available as are some other options. Yellow brass is a fairly bright gold color which gets darker and dull with age. Lacquer gets darker, but not dull with age. Perhaps 1 or 2% of horns made in the 1920's were gold plated, which necessitated a silverplating first to hold the gold. Where gold is worn off, first you'll see silver instead of brass. - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by ccmjem
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

Hi, Thanks! Looking at the sax the spots are grey or copper colored. They look like rust, but the grey ones seem to have a tiny dark spot center and then just look like a grey spot. The gold looks deep, almost honey colored but still shiny. I don't really see worn spots except maybe at the bottom of the bell where it looks copper shade where some gold is worn at the edges. So likely brass not gold plated? Most of the keys close tightly except the large bottom two on the lower left. Also the rollers (?) that close these keys click. Other than that keys close tightly though the pads do look like they need replacing. Rods look straight. Only a tiny (1/8 inch or less) dent near the very top of the horn. There is a little bit of green on the inside (like two small lines). Is my best bet to sell this on ebay? Pricing ideas? Any suggestions on getting good photos? Mine seem to reflect the shine of the horn and don't get the engraving to look its best. Hope to find a home that can get this horn back to good use with a little TLC. Continued thanks for all the help!

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

check out the forum www.saxontheweb.net they have a whole sub forum dedicated advice on buying and selling a saxophone

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

Jason Dumars' excellent site is actually www.saxophone.org not internationalsax. When you do an ask.com search for saxophone it is billed as The International Saxophone Home Page. Now I'm through.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

17 years ago

Gold plating by buescher is more common than you think. Laquer wasnt really explored by them until after the true tone line. when you see true tones in laquer, they are generally laquered later in their lives. Yes it is worth restoring, and it is one of the favorite vintage sopranos among players

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM