Saxophone Forum

by Mactenor
(102 posts)
17 years ago

Quality Variation

Did you have an opinion as to why there can be so much quality variation within the manufacture of the same instrument. As an example, Selmer Mark Vl Tenors, in the coveted 5 digit horns, some are fantastic and some are absolute dogs. I`m sure that this applies to all saxophones, but I chose Selmer because from concept to materials to having some of the finest craftsmen in the world, Selmer did not take a backseat to anyone, so why the wide variation? A saxophone starts with metals, then comes the placement of tone holes, the addition of keys springs, pads, posts, rods and is assembled, day in and day out, by the same caliber of fine world class craftsmen. How can some be sugar and some be sh#@. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Quality Variation

I only started hearing about this supposedly great variation in Mark VI Selmers in the last decade or so. Funny I never heard about this or noticed it in my first 30+ years of playing. I've heard that the factory graded horns and reserved the best for friends of the factory, pros and etc. Someone who should know has recently said that is a myth. Probably also a myth is this Mark VI quality variation. Have you heard about variation in Super Balanced Action horns? - made the same way by the same workers! It just defies logic that there could be very much variation from horn to horn. Please send all your dog Mark VI's this way. - - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

17 years ago

Absolute dogs was probably a wrong choice of words, let me say that some are not so good. Mactenor

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

I got my alto and tenor new in 1966, and they are still blowin' strong. Maybe I'm too dumb to know bad quality :) I wouldn't trade my horns for all the tea in China. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

17 years ago

You are seeing more variation in Mark VI's and other horns today than when they were new. There are many factors as to why. Most often, it has more to do with how the horns are set up and adjusted, the types of pads that are used, relacquered vs. original lacquer, and other variables. You can't compare two vintage horns; even if they are the same make and model. One might have been played extensively, relacquered and repadded several times. The other may have been played for only a short time and spent most of it's life in a closet. Still, if that horn that has been played, relacquered and repadded has been cared for and repaired by a skilled technition, it may play and sound better than the closet horn with very little use. The variation has little to do with the manufacturing of the horn, but more to do with how the horn has been repaired and maintained. This is true of all vintage horns and not just Selmer. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks, Jim Your comments make sense. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post