Saxophone Forum

by mttsaxman
(16 posts)
17 years ago

Which years are best for 10M and 6M

Question for all the 10M and 6M fans out here...which years do you consider to be the best for these models? And, do all of these horns with lacquer finishes also have the silver looking keys? What is the finish on the keys and rods?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Which years are best for 10M and 6M

I think all of the 6M's and 10M's made prior to WWII are considered the best. However, my 6M was made in 1945, right after the war ended and Conn resumed saxophone production, and it's an awesome horn. I have played many post WWII models that were quite nice.

Reply To Post

1. by mttsaxman
      (16 posts)

17 years ago

I think I read somewhere that the Conn factory was retooled for the war effort between 1942 and 1946, which I guess would correspond to about SN 300,000 to about 320,000. Is this right? And, where would these horns have been made and by whom?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

17 years ago

they were made in the same place as before and after. just in signifigantly smaller quantities

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

My 6M does not have the nickel-plated keys, 1950.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

17 years ago

The most valuable 10M and 6M saxophones are those made between 1932 and 1947, with the rolled tone holes. Those made before WWII (before 1941) are especially valuable. The Silver and gold plated horns are worth more than lacquered horns. I feel that the intonation is slightly better on the later horns; 1948-1968 without the rolled tone holes. Any of the horns that feature the "Naked Lady" (lady in pentagon) engraving are quite popular among collectors. This engraving was used from 1934-1959. In 1962, the 10M tenor was also available with an underslung neck like the 6M alto. The wire key guards were replaced with sheet metal guards in 1963, and while the horns were still made in Elkhart, Conn was trying to save money however possible and began to cheapen them up a bit. After MacMillan purchased Conn in 1969, production was moved to Nogales, Arizona, and the Elkhart factory was closed. When the Elkhart factory closed, the 6M and 10M were discontinued.

Reply To Post Yahoo!