Saxophone Forum

by Eagle2000
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Conn Sax 1894

I am wanting to get a value on an old Conn Alto. PATD DEC 8 94 1119954 A M202269 H Can anyone put me in contact with someone who can help. Thks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mttsaxman
    (16 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Conn Sax 1894

I would ask the guys at Saxquest. Some of the people out here also seem to have a lot of knowledge about Conns. I guess the H means it's not A440, so you can't really use this horn in any band or combo. That will definitely shrink the market of potential buyers.

Reply To Post

1. by Eagle2000
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

I've been told this is an unusual sax. It is the old type, so is a collectors item rather than playable in todays bands. I don't play myself... The 2 notes on the bell are on opposite sides, not the same side which I believe is more common. Also original case... Any help on getting a valuation would be appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

The serial number places that saxophone in 1927, I believe, the date on the horn is the patent date. The H does mean high pitch, which is not in line with today's standard, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried to use one today. It would seem that pulling the mouthpiece out a bit would solve the problem of pitch. Or doesn't that work? As far as valuation, in my opinion, playable instruments of today's standard are of more value, unless you find a collector who's really into your horn. I believe I wouldn't expect to get more than $100... but others may have other opinions and ideas.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

17 years ago

I agree with everything that's been said above. Sax Mom pretty much nailed it on this one. The high putch horns are NOT useable with today's tuning standards. It will be simply impossible to get the horn in tune. $100 is a fair estimate. A horn like this would probably be used as a parts horn and its worth about that in parts. Best of Luck!!! Cheers, Mark Overton

Reply To Post

2. by Eagle2000
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for your help with this. At least I know I am not sitting on a gold mine...

Reply To Post