Saxophone Forum

by saxologist
(13 posts)
17 years ago

Martin really a surprise

Bought a 1930 Martin HC Silver horn for next to nothing. Modern Key work on this horn. Well made and heavy. I had it refurbed and it is an incredible player with deap voice and great projection. Plays in tune. I like it better than my mark VI. Anyone else played Martins? I have Beuscher as well but prefer the martin

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Martin really a surprise

Ive got a Maritn bari, its simply killer!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

I have a The Martin alto, which I use as a back-up horn to my Conn 6M, because tonally it is equal to my Conn, just not as pretty as all the lacquer is worn. However, they are excellent horns with lots of tonal depth. It shouldn't surprise you. They are underrated, but they stand as among the very best American built horns, and among the best built horns ever, IMHO.

Reply To Post

1. by sultanofsax
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

i HAVE A '59 MARTIN ALTO, 99% ORIGIONAL LACQUER, BEST ALTO I HAVE EVER PLAYED PERIOD. BEAUTIFUL DARK TONE, GREAT INTONATION, JUST AMAZING. I AGREE ABOUT BEING A TRULY GREAT AMERICAN HORN, BETTER THAN MY 10M BY FAR, SO MUCH BETTER THAN ALL OF THIS CHEAP STUFF ON THE MARKET THESE DAYS. I WOULD ALLWAYS RECCOMEND AND "THE MARTIN" HORNS.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbmichael
        (1 post)

17 years ago

My main horn is a 53 Martin, and it has a terrific tone. To me, once you get used to the feel (it's a little big) it plays better than anything else including the pro models. Easy to get along with. As a new player I was lucky enough to find one of these way back when.

Reply To Post