Saxophone Forum

by saxgrobie
(86 posts)
17 years ago

a new neck . . . can I repair the old one?

So I broke my neck . . . It hurt. Anyway, I was pulling of the neck on my alto sax and the part with the pad on it broke off. It looked easy to fix. My dad saudered it back on. But it leaks really badly now. I'm currently using the neck from my old sax, but it doesn't fit very well and it goes out of tune very easily. Is my neck un-fixable? Or should I look for a new one? My sax is just a jupiter. If I buy a new neck, should I get a Jupiter one or can I find one to fit my alto that isn't the same brand? I'm a little confused. Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmachine777
    (57 posts)

17 years ago

Re: a new neck . . . can I repair the old one?

My first tenor was a Jupiter, and through well-cared for use it still managed to drop a key during an audition. If you're serious about the sax, I might suggest a new horn. I've heard Jupiter's come a long way in the past few years, but I don't think I'll ever trust them. Unfortunately, getting a neck that truly fits often requires a custom neck to be made (which there are from notable names such as Phil Barone), which can get expensive. Good luck! George

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

17 years ago

Re: a new neck . . . can I repair the old one?

have you taken it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM