Saxophone Forum

by yeshua
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Anyone have a idea of what my C-melody might be worth?

I bought a Cm a couple of years ago because of church. I heard that it was in the key of C so I was like "Yes, no more transposing!" I found a very good one on Ebay and I bought it. Unfortunately, I found it just didn't play as well as I had hoped so I havn't played in a couple of years. I have researched my sax trying to find it's value, but I havn't really found any places other then hopefully here (since vintage is your thing lol). So here is the info on it. It is a King C-melody serial 63K, I narrowed it down to Made in late Dec. 1919. It is in excellent condition, almost no scratches, no dents, been repadded just before I bought it, silver finish (don't remember what kind of finsih, but I know that it isn't laquer and I need to take care of it so it won't turn black), doesn't have the original mouthpiece as I and the person I bought it from believes (although it did come with a mp that is old has turned a shade of dark green). I'm not sure what else might help you determine what it could be worth, please let me know if you need more or would like to see pictures. email me at [email protected] Thanks a lot everyone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Anyone have a idea of what my C-melody might be worth?

Is this horn high pitch or low pitch?

Reply To Post

1. by yeshua
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

it's low pitch...I always thought if it said low pitch, then it was most likely/is a C-melody, but whatever it tells you let me know, this way I can have some more insight as well.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

Low Pitch means that Concert A=440Mhz. That is today's standard, so the value would be higher than one that is High Pitch. High pitch horns would be very difficult to play in tune, as embouchure adjustments might need to be made for nearly every note. When you say it doesn't play as well as you had thought, what do you mean? That would have an effect on the value as well.

Reply To Post

1. by yeshua
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Well I havn't played it for a while, but I know that it takes a lot of effort for some of the lower notes to come out nice and clear and strong, the higher notes aren't as bad, but you still need a bit of effort to make them come out clear as well. If you played it enough and got used to it, I think it would be pretty good, but I just don't play very much (as in once every 6 months or so for about 15 minutes). Thanks a lot for all you questions and info....hope you keep it up.

Reply To Post