Saxophone Forum

by mattMrozinski
(35 posts)
17 years ago

the mark vii

so, recently i was at the shop and a woman brought in a selmer mark vii alto, asking about 1500 for it. The shop owner looked at it, and said this- "they stopped making the mark vi for a reason," and that he would have no problem selling it. Now, these horns aren't exactly popping up everywhere, amongst the hundreds of vi's on ebay i see only 3 mk viis, and selling for far less than their predecessors. However at the end of the semester i may be getting a tenor and if these are worth my time and money, i might look into getting one, although im leaning towards a cannonball because i own an alto, maybe some good words about a mark vii can swing my opinion. of course its important to try a horn first and all that jazz. anybody have any experience with these mark vii's, and if they're worth looking in to because of the high demand and prices that the mark vi's have?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmachine777
    (57 posts)

17 years ago

Re: the mark vii

I'd say absolutely it's worth your time. The only real problems with the Mark VII have to do with consistency between horns, and to be honest, the VI harbors the same faults (though arguably to a much smaller degree). Many VIIs are lousy, I know that there are at least a few that are wonderful instruments (a friend of mine owns one that I absolutely love). The only thing is to play test the horn, of which you've already mentioned the significance. And as you've also mentioned, there aren't too many around, so play testing them won't take much time out of your day :-)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by gullioto
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

So, where ARE all the Mk VII's? It does seem very odd that you rarely see them for sale or even in use. I have my trusty Mk VII alto (which I got in high school and actually really like) but am left wondering if there's not a stockpile or graveyard where all these horns are. How many Mk VII's did Selmer actually make?

Reply To Post

1. by mattMrozinski
        (35 posts)

17 years ago

i think i read somewhere that they did only produce them from 1974 till about 1980

Reply To Post

2. by sultanofsax
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

i HAVE A MARK VII TENOR, THAT I TRULY LOVE TO DEATH. I PLAYED A NEW REF. 36 A FEW YEARS BACK AND I WOULDNT TRADE MY VII FOR THAT THING EVER!!!!!! THE 7'S ARE A GREAT BANG FOR THEIR BUCK.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

17 years ago

I'm just going to ramble on, mostly because I'm bored at work. These horns aren't "really old" yet, and there weren't that many of them made. Also, these were after the very good mark vi series, which still was good when the vii came out. I don't think there is a big "graveyard" out there, but owners who are happy and not in a hurry to sell anything on ebay, or at the local shop. I also think we are blind to most of that market since most of us seemed to be dazzled by the mark vi like a deer in a cars headlights. so the reason why there "aren't a lot of them out there" can be explained by a combo of the horns still being new, not a huge overblown market, and something else getting our attention. or at least I'll get off my soapbox, since work is now over!=)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by bat1805
          (10 posts)

17 years ago

Matt, I am selling my Mark VII tenor. It is delacquered but it has lacquered neck that I purchased "new" two months ago. It has a very warm sound and is very responsive. Let me know if you may be interested. Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by bat1805
          (10 posts)

17 years ago

Matt, I am selling my Mark VII tenor. It is delacquered but it has lacquered neck that I purchased "new" two months ago. It has a very warm sound and is very responsive. Let me know if you may be interested. Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Mark, I have a 7 Alto and a 7 Tenor , You have to look for one below the 27000 SN. I play the 7 with no feeling of being compromised by the 6, I have 4 6's 3 of them with 5 didgit and the 7 seem's more alive to Me. Go for them a great deal for a underrated Horn. SNumber is everthing.

Reply To Post