Saxophone Forum

by mttsaxman
(16 posts)
17 years ago

The Meaning of the VIII on the Conn 6M

Can anyone tell me what the VIII stamped on some of the Conn 6Ms actually means? Which 6Ms have this?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

17 years ago

Re: The Meaning of the VIII on the Conn 6M

It refers to a specific neck design

Reply To Post

1. by mttsaxman
      (16 posts)

17 years ago

Hey thanks, Steve. I've heard different things about the VIII, so I wasn't sure. One thing I've heard is it was only on the earlier 6Ms (pre-WWII?), and that these are considered more valuable. Do you know if there is any truth to that or not? Thanks for your insight.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

17 years ago

The VIII and the Connqueror were essentially the same horn. As Steve said, the neck was slightly different, and I believe the VIII had a couple extra adjustments. They were the deluxe model 6M. It is true that the VIII's were pre WWII, and I believe they were discontinued around 1940. The VIII's are the most valuable of the 6M horns. They also have rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, my Conn was made right after the end of WWII, and it is also stamped with an VIII.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

Connqueror vs. 6M: Jim: I hate to disagree, but the're VERY different horns. Visit m site www.saxgourmet.com to look at the original catalogs and you'll see the differences. Santy Runyon (who was my mentor and teacher) worked for Conn in the 1930's doing saxophone design, and he told me they were made on different tooling. That's pretty obvious if you compare them side by side. Of course, the 26M keywork is radically different. The necks are NOT interchangable on the examples I have in my personal collection. I have not measured them, but the body tube taper looks different to me.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

17 years ago

Steve, I know that the 28M Connstellation was designed by Santy Runyan, and it is very different from any other Conn horn that I have ever seen. I have only seen one 28M, and it was not in playable condition. I have seen 2 Connquerors. Both of them were early 40's model horns. Although I did notice a few differences, the horn played very much like my beloved 6M

Reply To Post Yahoo!