Saxophone Forum

by jammb
(1 post)
17 years ago

Buzz in a Sax

I get a buzz in my lower register. I am guessing it is a leak, but just checking if anyone has any other ideas. Thank You

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Conclave
    (45 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Buzz in a Sax

it might be a loose metal resonator if you have those.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

it may also be reeds or an embochure issue. i swore i had a leak in my alto, turns out i was just not voicing right.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Scrythe
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

I also get a buzz on my saxophone when i play high A and only on that note.

Reply To Post

4. by SaxJazz42
    (9 posts)

17 years ago

Check the screws on all your key guards/clothes guard. If they aren't all tight, they can vibrate and rattle, especially at lower frequencies...

Reply To Post

5. by bertiebertSAX
    (8 posts)

17 years ago

hey i have those exact same problems a buzz on low b and c sharp and on high A.........so wats going on my teacher has no idea why its doing this????

Reply To Post

1. by mega band geek
      (60 posts)

17 years ago

Oil all of the rollers, tighten all of the keyguard and brace (bell to body) screws, and use thread locker or plumber's teflon tape to make sure the adjustable height screws on the keyguards aren't loose in their threads, same with the screws on the asjustment bar that closes the G# when the right hand is down, though be careful with that one because it's a very critical adjustment screw and can cause a lot of playability issues if it's put back in the wrong place. Also, make sure the keywork of the sax has been oiled. Another thing may be to put a drop of oil where each needle spring meets the spring saddle on the key. Basically, oil any place that is metal on metal, but don't over due it with the oil. Less is more and you don't want to end up with a slippery sax! Then a buzz on the high A may be caused by improper key height of the octave key, play the A and have a friend lift the key a little higher. If the buzz goes away then have a tech open up the keyheight a little. -Scott

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

If lifting the octave key makes the buzz go away, it may be where the octave mechanism connects rather than key height... if so, raising the key may cause more harm than good (not sealing when it's supposed to be closed...)

Reply To Post