Saxophone Forum

by Papa John
(3 posts)
17 years ago

looking for a vintage sax for my muscian son all help apprciated

Hi looking at vintage conn sax's for my son he plays flute piano learning to play alto sax, am looking at c melody sax for x mass gift. Any thoughts on this as well I see that there is straight neck and curved neck models. he is only 12 but practices all three instruments every day. As well as working with a kurzweil pcr-1 keyboard from time to time I am not a musician but have researched several different models conn seems like one of the better ones. Looking to purchase via eBay and have done my due diligence as to what I am looking for. Price seems to be a obstacle as the good ones are going for 400.00 I guess what I am looking for is specific serial numbers for a sweet sounding instrument. I can figure condition out All help appreciated . Thanks in advance

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Re: looking for a vintage sax for my muscian son all help apprciated

Hey Papa John, First of all, forget about a C melody. That would just impede your son's progress. He needs an alto at this point, and $400 won't buy a vintage Conn alto. I suggest renting with the option to buy. If he sticks with it, a Conn 6M is the way to go, but they don't come cheap. I would be real careful with old horns, as you don't know what they have been through. They can require extensive overhaul. Kurzweil ia a good keyboard, but used stuff is risky. I have to maintain four keybords and often times the contacts get loaded up with dirt, dust and cigarette smoke. My parting words are STAY AWAY from C melody horns. They are nothing more than trinkets for people who aren't musicians. Good luck with that :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

17 years ago

"My parting words are STAY AWAY from C melody horns. They are nothing more than trinkets for people who aren't musicians. Good luck with that :)" well they would be "fun" to play in a church or something, for those of us who can't transpose and are lazy!=) I'll second the rent to own, and that you're not going to find much for $400. Check out a local music store though, they may have some used student models. Also he is only 12, not that this is bad, but he wouldn't be able to take advantage of a vintage horn or sound quite yet, and may not be as careful with the horn. Nothing agenst your son, just my opinon! Jamterry - I'm looking for a JUNO 60 keyboard sometime... It's awesome, and it's more awesome that it's pre midi!=) But I'd just get it to look at, and wouldn't use it too much.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Chiamac, If I run up on a Juno 60 I'll shake it down , and let you know. The analog synths have a string sound all of their own. You can get that 80's sound. :) On my arp odyssey I have a phase sync guitar patch that absolutely scorches!!!! :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

17 years ago

these guys pretty much have it nailed, no c-melodies. they dont prove to be that useful, hints why they dont really make them anymore. and as for vintage, as a younger player, he will not know proper techniques for caring for the horn and what not. its not that he would mistreat it, but even the most responsible people do things at that age. and with a vintage horn, getting repair parts, or rather the proper repair parts, can be quite tricky. i would reccomend a rent-to-own yamaha student alto with an optional upgrade, so that if he sticks with it, he can get credit for the rental fees and get a pro series horn. best of luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by pease-pudding
        (6 posts)

17 years ago

Could I suggest you try

Reply To Post

1. by Papa John
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks all for the help

Thanks again for the info have decided to upgrade his alto sax as it is a king 613 which he says its hard to get some notes on because of thier location. I was thinking the cmelody for the cost of a good instrument was much cheaper than a tenor and a vintage because the sound quality is better for the money. i used this form so I could get some objective responses. thanks again

Reply To Post