Saxophone Forum

by sax&sax
(18 posts)
17 years ago

sax and smocking

how much the smoking effects a sax player?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Mlenox
    (36 posts)

17 years ago

Re: sax and smocking

Well, eventually it kills you and then you can't play the sax anymore and that kind of sucks. Before it kills you, you might have a lung removed or suffer from emphysema. Something that might be more noticable is when you smoke you fall out of shape. Going up stairs that you used to be able to dart up, now leaves you short of breath. I would expect that this would limit your ability to be able to blow. I know of lots of great horn players who smoke. But I am sure that it limits them in some way and may eventually shut them down so to say.

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
      (50 posts)

17 years ago

I just live with a chain smoker, and am already an asthmatic, and I know it really has a bad effect on my playing, the second-hand smoke even more than my asthma. I find that whenever I'm gone for a few days and playing, my sound is bigger because I can push more air, becuase my lungs clear out for a little while...

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

i was a smoker for a couple months before i realized how rediculous it was. havent touched one since im very proud to say. in those few months i felt my lung capacity drop. dont smoke, it really f-s you in the long run. and theres the whole dying thing you may want to take into account.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by flamom
      (15 posts)

17 years ago

Re: sax and smoking

Today is exactly one year since my father died of cancer. I have to admit that every once in a while I feel like having a cigarette, and then I think about the awfulness of cancer.

Reply To Post

1. by OklahomanSax
        (18 posts)

17 years ago

smoking is retarded, smoke gets traped in your lungs, you become addicted, consequently; more smoke enters and is traped in your lungs. This smoke then limits one's ability to breathe freely, obviously limiting ones ability to play the sax. T H I N K .

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

17 years ago

I have never played while wearing a smock. It would look too goofy.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

On the other hand, I have played saxophone while wearing a smock. Smocks are rather convenient when a person is seven months along...

Reply To Post