Saxophone Forum

by Yeoman
(6 posts)
17 years ago

White Pads for a Vintage Martin

Also posted in "sax repair" Hi all, Any info about this horn will be greatly appreciated. Beautiful silver plate, the bell is ingraved 'The Martin Elkhart IND'. Serial #23458 low pitch. 1920's we think. I purchased this 'found in the attic' horn on ebay last year. A gift for my high school band member. The seller didn't know any more than I about saxes. We thought from the photo (curved neck piece) that it was a tenor, but it's smaller than that. And the tenor reed is a bit big for the mouth piece. It's bigger than the Aristocrat alto we have.... so is it a low pitch alto?....a C-mel?..... someother option I'm ignorant of? I can e-mail photos to help. Anyway, to the main point of my post....we'll be sending it in for what ever work it needs which will prob'ly include new pads. Where do we find the WHITE replacement pads. They look very nice against the silver plate, and most importantly we want to maintain originality. Not that I've seen many saxes, but I had never seen one with white pads, so this may be somewhat of a rarity. Thx for your time to read my ramblings, and any info you can post. MerryChristmas!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

17 years ago

Re: White Pads for a Vintage Martin

i wouldnt be surprised if that's a F alto...they made some of those for a while to compliment the C melodies. A C mel would be a lil bigger than a Bb Tenor. anyways...not an expert...just been around the block a while good luck with those pads

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

17 years ago

A C melody is not bigger than a Bb tenor. Its size is between the alto and tenor. Probably is a C melody.

Reply To Post

2. by Scrythe
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

it doesn't say it above the serial number? i've see one that says C 18634 LP Wouldn't the C mean, C melody? Although it is 27" which is roughly the size of a Bb Side question. is that a good martin? It's silver but the bell doesn't say "The martin". it says MADE BY FRANK HOLTON & CO., ELKHORN WIS.

Reply To Post