Saxophone Forum

by Scrythe
(22 posts)
17 years ago

Which axe to buy

I've been reading like crazy over these forums, around saxpics.com and other various places trying to decide which vintage horn to get. The problem is, i have heard so many different opinions and fats about different horns, that i am getting very confused. i'll list some questions i have about vintage tenor saxes. 1. Which Conns are the best to buy? So far i know of the 10M and the Chu Berry being thier best models. 2. Are the Conns made in 1970ish+ not good?(i'm talking about the ones made outside of elkhart) 3. Which martins are the best to buy? i've heard martins are possibly one of the best saxes, but which model? Like the handcraft ones, or the committee? 4. Would a 1912 Holton be a good buy for $200ish? 5. What other vintage saxes can i get in a very tight budget? Thanks for your time, Scrythe

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Which axe to buy

I would guess there is no decent functional $200 sax anymore. As far as Conn, The 6M Alto or 10M Tenor made with the rolled tone holes from about the mid 1930's to the mid 1940's- see Conn Sax Timeline or saxpics.com for serial numbers - are generally thought to be the best vintage Conns. I would go for a late 1940's or early 1950's 6M or 10M before going back to a New Wonder/Chu Berry model. The 1960's and later Conns are not as highly thought of - but may make perfect sense on a budget. Still I'd guess much more than $200 for a 1970's Conn in decent shape. Horns that say The Martin Tenor or The Martin Alto are the most highly thought of pro models (from the 1940's and 1950's). These would be cheaper than the 6M/10M at perhaps $700-$1500 ready to blow. The earlier Martins might give you more trouble, but some people like them. I'd guess you'd hate a 1912 Holton, but you could try it - certainly don't waste your money blind. Incidently, you might get a well made used Yamaha more cheaply than a vintage name. Good Luck.

Reply To Post