Saxophone Forum

by SaxDude619
(11 posts)
17 years ago

New Sax

Hello. I'm looking into buying my first tenor sax. I have about $500 that I got for Christmas and from birthdays. I do not want any "Cheap Chinese Imitations", so I'm avoiding eBay. I searched on the internet and found a Kohlert 450 Tenor for $499.99 on Musician's Friend. If anyone has played this sax, or any other horn by Kohlert please tell me if it is recommended.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxtribute
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Sax

I would recommend going to Saxalley.com. This website has good used saxophones from student to professional models. Tim, the owner, is a very good repairmen and smart sax guy. That would be what I would do, especially with your budget.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxDude619
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry I meant to type Kohlert 460 Tenor

Reply To Post

1. by brecker|turrentine
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

oo well for $500 a cheap chineese imitation is about all you can get, I would recomend going to a local music store and trying to rent-to-own one because that way you can use a better sax and have a longer time to pay it off troy

Reply To Post AIM

3. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

check out saxalley.com hes got some used altos and tenors to look at. they will all be in good condition and are very reasonably priced. why tenor to start?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxDude619
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

For school as well as the fact that I enjoy the sound of the tenor more and want to continue with it after school. I also like jazz which is another reason. P.S. Thanks for the comments

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

well, following high school, should you choose to keep playing as in studying it. theres about a 95% chance you'll have to play alto, most prof's require it and for good reasons. a lot of people narrow jazz playing to simply tenor, granted the majority of the big name players are on tenor. but consider maybe starting on alto. you may find you would like it better, or you may pick up bari at some point and make that your axe. i guess my advice is dont get too settled on tenor too quickly. it also limits your abilities to work classically. this is a small field, but populated by many players who are absolutely in love with the music

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

No. You can keep on with the tenor. My lessons prof at college was fine with the tenor, even though I had an alto I could have used. However, to answer the first question, I don't know about the sax you've mentioned, but you may be able to find a decent vintage horn if you are extrememly lucky. I've heard that junkdude has some decent deals on saxophones. With $500 to start, you may find someone willing to loan you a bit more for a good horn.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxDude619
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

to barisax999 Thats the thing, I'm in eighth grade and for us music is free and im using my school's horn. I already know how to play I'm just looking to buy a horn of my own so that I wont have to face "rent or buy" issues in highschool. And please elaborate (sorry if mis-spelled) on why most prof's require alto for "good reasons". As for what you said about maybe picking up a baritone in the near future and making that my instrument, well I never know. I do hope to try a baritone one day though. I aswell don't plan to limit my classical abilities as I usually play some music in our schools books that include Mozart, Beethoven and etc... I play guitar aswell so I know what path to take musically. I plan on classical first, then move to jazz if I want to.

Reply To Post

3. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

17 years ago

you should start looking into true classical saxophone pieces, not just transpositions. mozart, beethoven, and those cats didnt write for saxophone because it wasnt invented yet. familiarize yourself with the stuff written for saxophone

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by SaxDude619
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

suggestions?

Reply To Post

5. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

17 years ago

check out classicsax.com there is great literature there written for saxophone. as you will notice, most of it, nearly all, is written for alto. thats why classical professors want you to play alto. i speak highly of alto because after i picked up bari in 8th grade. i didnt play alto again until my senior year. now i play alto most of the time. i consider myself to be a classical alto player. however, i still play bari and i recently purchased a pro series tenor which i play. as for what specific classical music to pick up, i cant really say, not having any idea of where your at. 2 pieces you shouldnt have problems with are both bozzas and iberts arias. they are both standard and great pieces. look into what they list as "easy." they carry music through what people will play when they are in graduate school, so dont feel degraded that you are playing "easy" music. also look into getting copies of both the ferling etudes and voxmans selected studies. they are both standard books for the saxophone. many of these exercises will appear overwhelming, just take it extremely slow.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by SaxDude619
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you my friend.

Reply To Post