Saxophone Forum

by KingNecron
(76 posts)
17 years ago

Conn 16M: Identification Required

Hey everyone. My girlfriend's mom has an old sax that she had me look at today. Well, this horn, which was being used as a makeshift flowerpot, is an old Conn 16M. The body is in pretty good shape, with only one moderate dent on the bell. The keys need some work--probably quite a bit--and the pads, where they can be found, are in bad shape. Anyway, the serial number on the horn is 693784. Can anyone tell me about Conns with serial numbers close to this? Basically, she wants to find out if it'll be worth getting the thing fixed. When I found out it was a Conn 16M I just about plotzed, but I realize that Conn went through some changes in the latter half of the previous century, so I need to make sure this is one of the "good" Conns, if that makes sense. Thanks for your help, and I look forward to getting some feedback.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Conn 16M: Identification Required

The serial Number puts this horn's manufacture date at 1957/58. This would be around two or so years after the introduction of this student line of horns, known as the Conn "Director", or unofficially the "Shooting Star" models (nick named so due to the star pattern engraved on the bell). as mentioned, these are student horns, and although your earlier vintage is the better of the lot, this is neither a coveted pro model, nor is it worth putting money into. In the condition you have detailed, the likely price for what would be basically the shell or body/bow/bell, and parts would be less than $200.00 max. Unless you are able/willing/skilled enough to do the extensive repair and overhaul yourself pro bono, you might want to replant those flowers in it. :D

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Clarification: By "price", I mean what you would fetch for what you have now, not what it would cost to repair, which starts at several hundred and can easily reach a thousand or more if fabrication is involved.

Reply To Post

1. by KingNecron
        (76 posts)

17 years ago

Hey man. Thanks for the feedback. I actually did a little searching myself and found out that it was made in 57/58, but I didn't know the significance of that, other than the fact that Conn's weren't being made in Mexico yet. And, yes, the bell has the "Shooting Star" design. Thanks again for the feedback!

Reply To Post AIM