Saxophone Forum

by Ro Ford
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Value of My Mark VI

I have a Mark VI Alto Serial Number M 11493 which, according to Selmer means it was manufactured in 1963, although it was purchased for me, new, in 1964 or early 1965. Someone now wants to purchase it. How much is it worth?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Value of My Mark VI

The condition and mechanical integrity of the horn in question is critical to it's accurate valuation, however all things be equal and sound, the $4,000 to $5,000 range is the going rate for this vintage model in good condition presently.

Reply To Post

1. by Ro Ford
      (2 posts)

17 years ago

This horn has two dings--one under the thumb rest and one higher up. The low C key and the octave key both are sticking, but I havn't tried oiling them yet and the springs seem to be okay. This horn has not been out of the case since Jan of 1969. The finish has darkened somewhat, but seems to be in fairly good condition. It will probably need to have some pads replaced--I cannot imagine that leather pads have not broken down during that period of time.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

If the horn is as you say, you shouldn't have any trouble unloading it at the highest possible price. If the finish is dark but in good shape, you may get as high as 6 grand for it. Have it fixed up and a Mark VI is guaranteed to sell.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxyboy
      (52 posts)

17 years ago

There's something wrong with your reading of that serial number. A 1964 horn would have been a 6 digit number from 112,000 to about 126,000. In any case you need to do some research. Study actual sales by searching eBay completed listings. You'll see similar serial numbers having sold from about $3000 to more than $10,000 for a recent mint tenor. So obviously condition is paramount to a determination of value. If your horn is like my 1960 tenor, it has a lot of lacquer gone from the left side and below the thumb rest. Also scratches from a neck strap and wear on the left hand palm keys. And maybe a couple of minor dings from some idiot guitar player or something. Such a horn would bring maybe $4500-$6000 with a 5 digit serial number. The early 6 digit numbers bring a bit less- $3500-$5000? More lacquer wear or a good older (factory?) relacquer would bring less too $3000-$4500? But do your own research too. Good Luck. What are you buying to play, if anything?

Reply To Post