Saxophone Forum

by pri_nce33
(7 posts)
17 years ago

lacquer

How would the sound of my Selmer Balanced action be affected if i had the lacuer took off? and would i still have the same amount of life on my horn if it was taken off?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mjohnnie
    (66 posts)

17 years ago

Re: lacquer

Very little change--some players think that it improves the tone, but IMHO the sound can be improved MUCH more by 1) mouthpiece/reed/ligature setup 2)embouchre changes Try practicing a lot and I'm sure the lacquer will slowly rub off. This method is guaranteed to improve the sound.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

The lacquer has a purpose, to protect the brass from oxidation. If you remove it, you will need to work much more to keep the horn looking good, which will cut into your practice time. I suggest leaving the lacquer as it is... But it's your decision. I don't believe it will significantly change the sound, unless, in the process of removing the lacquer you damage pads or tweak the horn out of adjustment.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

The coat of lacquer is too thin to affect the sound. There was a poster here a while back who went on about having the lacquer completely removed fom his sax and that it really opened up his sound. He was deluding himself. If the sound opened up, it was probably because after the horn was reassembled, the keys were regulated better. It is more likely that since he believed that removing the lacquer would open up his sound, whatever that meant to him, than in his mind, the sound did open up. It had nothing to do with the removal of the lacquer. However, he really thought so. Getting a good set-up and the right reed and mouthpiece for you will do more for the sound than anything else. I agree that you should leave the lacquer as is. As long as the horn sounds and plays well, that is most important. Also, the resale value of your horn is better with the original lacquer, whatever its condition than if you had it re-lacquered.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

17 years ago

Lacquer is best when worn off the horn, not removed. Doesn't even need to be much of it worn off, just enough that your fingers smell like brass at the end of the gig.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
          (132 posts)

17 years ago

When I went to New York, I saw around 5 gigs... every single player played an unlacquered/delacquered horn... I think its more of a fashion statement than a technical improvement for the horn.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

17 years ago

there was a great link to an article about different flutes made of different metals. Those being silver, gold, plat, so on. Each flute was played for a group of people, and blindfolded they were to say which one was which. Needless to say they really didn't nail anything on the head, proving that the material really doesn't make too much of a difference. Same would go for sax's, and there are so many other things that have a bigger impact on sound that arguing about lacquer is really silly. It really is more of a fashion statement than anything else.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Seano
          (132 posts)

17 years ago

Exactly. And I intend to bring the black horns back into fashion! :-)

Reply To Post