Saxophone Forum

by birdwho
(15 posts)
17 years ago

underrated players.

With so much emphasis being on image, a lot of players have gone underrated throughout music's history. I would like to hear all of your input on some of the most underrated jazz saxophone players, I will list a few of mine. Gigi Gryce- I think the way Gigi was playing with clifford was excellent, and progressive too. Almost nobody listens to him Dick Oatts- While Dick does get a lot of recognition for being a great lead alto player, I rarely hear his praises sung in conversations about the best current players. And he can play anything. These are just two that come to my head right now, there are many other unsung heroes, especially currently in New York. feel free to leave comments on overrated players as well.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: underrated players.

A couple come to mind. I agree, Gigi Gryce was great player that didn't get enough recognition, probably because he got lost in the post-Parker shuffle. Some others who come to my mind are; Tab Smith Sonny Criss Sonny Fortune Warne Marsh Gene Quill

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
      (132 posts)

17 years ago

Me. Jokes, I'd add Charles Lloyd to that list, he may not be everyones cup of tea but he has a beautiful tone and produces great compositions. He's subtly reminiscent of late Coltrane and a bit of Keith Jarrett style too. He's also a great flutist. Heplays tarogato too (Hungarian kinda clarinet i think) Sean

Reply To Post

1. by bigred
        (43 posts)

17 years ago

tina brooks is a good player. He is on that Freddie Hubbard album "open sesame" and he sounds good on those cuts. Also some big band tenors from kenton or woody don't get alot ofrecognition like Don Menza or Frank Tibeiri. Now I know the true jazz fans wil disagree, but the less informed people prolly don't know them. Just assuming :)

Reply To Post