Saxophone Forum

by kidjazz87
(1 post)
17 years ago

Need help finding information

My next door neighbor gave me a vintage alto sax. It's an alto sax silver lacquered C.G. Conn. The SN 2383123. Says it was Pat. Dec. 8 1914. Can someone help me out in figuring what the model is?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Need help finding information

Kid- Check out the discussion titled Conn Sax Timeline. I bet you'll find your info. I believe that discussion is under Vintage of High School Horns.The 1914 date is just the original patent date.

Reply To Post

2. by Zevulun
    (24 posts)

17 years ago

Go to your neighbour's door, ring the bell, when he opens the door embrace him and say (crying if you can) that you want to be his slave for the rest of your life.Is your neighbor god???.This is a fu**ing great horn, boy!.Enjoy it and be happy, luckyness is smiling you.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

The serial number places the date of manufacture around 1930, which would make it a late New Wonder II/Early 6M or "Transitional" model. These are highly desirable. The 1914 patent date refers to the William Haynes patented process for drawing the tone holes, and not the date the horn was made. This would be a silver PLATED, not lacquered horn, which again adds to the value. Not your everyday "gimme" horn, so thank your neighbor.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

The serial number places the date of manufacture around 1930, which would make it a late New Wonder II/Early 6M or "Transitional" model. These are highly desirable. The 1914 patent date refers to the William Haynes patented process for drawing the tone holes, and not the date the horn was made. This would be a silver PLATED, not lacquered horn, which again adds to the value. Not your everyday "gimme" horn, so thank your neighbor.

Reply To Post

1. by Tutewiler
        (20 posts)

17 years ago

I'll give you $200.00 for it, sight unseen!! Seriously, if it's in good shape, he gave you a $1500 to $2000 saxophone. Your neighbor is either a very generous man, didn't know what he had. We are all jealous!! Conn-gratulations!!

Reply To Post