Saxophone Forum

by zjakub9
(2 posts)
17 years ago

Old BUNDY Alto

I have an older Bundy alto sax.....the B and Bb bell tone holes are on the left side of the bell......wondering if anyone has any info on the older Bundy's such as when it was made, value, etc? We are trying to find a figure for an appraisal and I am interested in the history in general. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Old BUNDY Alto

Bundy is Selmer's low budget student horn. It wasn't bad, but student horns from Yamaha and Jupiter are much better now. I'm afraid the horn isn't worth very much.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Old BUNDY Alto

If it's the Bundy I'm thinking of (has a plain 'Bundy' engraving), then it is indeed Selmer USA's old line of student models. It was replaced by the Bundy II where the bell cups were switched to the right side. It's supposedly related somewhat to the old Buescher Aristocrat proffessional horns of the 1940's and 50's, and is identical to the late low-grade Aristocrats of the 60s and 70's, but I've never heard anyone credible state it played anything like the older 'Crats. I played on a Bundy like yours for years. Intonation is decent, tone is okay depending on what you like, but the keywork suffers from springs too thick and short, making the action feel stiff, especially on the table. They were very durable in construction. They were once the defacto student horns much like the Yamaha 23s are now, but they were pushed aside by the Yamahas, Vitos and Jupiters, all of which have better keywork and a brighter tone. They are not worth much because they aren't desireable and they are plentifull. However, they are a good way to get into saxophone playing if they can be found in servicable condition.

Reply To Post