Saxophone Forum

by Tutewiler
(20 posts)
17 years ago

Conn 14M

I have an old Conn 14M, with a serial# 4XXX. That's it. Just four numbers. No prefix letter, and that just doesn't have enough numbers to look it up on the serial# charts. I've seen a few others for sale with the four digit numbers. Can anybody tell me anything about this? Have I bought a Knock-off or something? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kevinmch
    (3 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Conn 14M

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but I am wondering myself...I have a Conn 14M with 1935 as the only number on the horn. It does have Conn USA on the bell, so I don't think it's a Mexican-made horn, but I was never really sure. Thanks in advance for any help...I surely appreciate any input.

Reply To Post

1. by Tutewiler
      (20 posts)

17 years ago

I've seen in other discussions that they may be '63 models made after the stamper ran out of digits & before the decision was made to put in a letter designation. The Mexican horns say "Mexico" on them, and those made in Nogales had Letters like "N" for 1970, etc....

Reply To Post

1. by kevinmch
        (3 posts)

17 years ago

Yep...i agree. According to some web sources, Conn began making these horns in Nogales in about 1960, however, mine has no "N" in the serial number...?? I don't know. Tell me if this is EXACTLY what your horn looks like (mine does). Please check the alternate F# G flat key as well as the key guards (wire or sheet metal) on yours; the seller claims it's a '63:

Reply To Post

1. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

You couldn't find a better match! Exactly the same as mine right down to the dark finish and the same sheet metal keyguards and F# key. I wish there was somebody from Conn we could contact to get the exact date. I am keeping it regardless, because it's a great horn, and that should be all that REALLY matters, but it would be nice to know the date. I have a MexiConn Director tenor I'm rebuilding, and the quality thing is REAL obvious. I seriously doubt that ours were made anywhere but Elkhart. The difference in the crafstmanship on these two horns is just amazingly obvious! Thanks, Scott

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

The only thing the "N" stands for before the serial number, is that it was made in 1970 (in 1963, Conn started to add letter prefixes to their serial numbers). The letter on a horn doesn't stand for "Nogalas" or that it was made in Mexico. The reason this myth was born, is that by 1970, virtually all of Conn's student range of instruments WERE being made in Nogalas AZ, right on the Mexican border. Production was eventually moved to Mexico proper. If a horn is a true "Mexi-Conn", it will have Mexico stamped on it. By 1960, much of Conn's student production was beginning to be moved to the former Best Manufacturing Plant in Nogalas, but the earlier horns, both the Elkhart, and the very first Nogalas made ones, are considered far better than the latter manufactured ones, as Director models (in general) go, mind you. They aren't 10Ms, but some can be made to play and sound very good if the keywork issues can be properly dealt with. The latter ones are just plain crap, frankly, and attempting to rectify all the construction and quality issues is like attempting to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Reply To Post

3. by kevinmch
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

thanks for the help....i agree that it is a good and playable horn, but just curious anyway...thanks again

Reply To Post

4. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

Saxismyaxe- What I started this discussion about was that I and a lot of others have 14M's with only 4 numbers in their serial#. No prefix letter, just four digits. Mine is 4XXX. I'd just like a Conn-clusive answer as to what year it was made. The Tenor has an "N", but does not say "Mexico", so I guess it was made in Nogales, but it's still not anywhere near the quality of the Alto with the 4-digit serial number. Any insight on a date for these 4-digits would be appreciated Conn-siderably. (sorry!) Scott

Reply To Post

5. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

I just picked up another 14M on eBay. I think it's from 1959 (please correct me if I'm wrong on the date) It's got the Mercedes-style Eb keyguard, serial# 822XXX. Finally, I think I got a good one (see above post) and it was the lowest price of the three. I snagged it for only $69.88. It appears in nice condition, good lacquer, pads & springs. Any comments on this model/ year would be appreciated.

Reply To Post

6. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

The serial number indicates that this was made in 1959 indeed. If you are hell bent on throwing your lot with a "Director" model, then this would be the best of the bunch. It's hard to argue with $69.88 for a working horn, but don't ignore the New Wonder and Artist "Lady Face" model Conns, as these are pro models in every way, and can be occasionally be found for less than mortgage busting prices, especially the later, 60's era 6M/10M/12M Artist horns.

Reply To Post

7. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

Thank-you for the input. You were correct, the 1959 is the best, but I'm not that thrilled with the action. Taking your advise, I got the "stars" out of my eyes, and focused on the New Wonder models. I snagged one this weekend, a lacquer finish 1926 model 180,XXX with the tunable neck and nailfile G# key, for $237.00. The seller says the pads and springs are good, just needs some cleaning and leak tweeking. (I'll believe that when I see it) I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Reply To Post