Saxophone Forum

by robins
(2 posts)
17 years ago

cheap imitation or not

I recently bought an old brass sax, it's got no markings except the odd initial "M" stamped in the back of some keys. It has red leather pads and red faced keys. It plays like a bitch but then I paid almost nothing for it and it looks good. Old fake or not??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: cheap imitation or not

I'm not sure if you meant it plays well or horribly, from context it sounds like it plays horribly. If it looks good, but does not play well, it's not a good horn in my opinion. Hang it on the wall.

Reply To Post

1. by bleeding gums
      (18 posts)

17 years ago

even better than hanging on a wall...take it apart you can learn a lot of important things about how your horn works by taking apart and attempting to put it back together. take it apart slowly, see what connects to what to make what open. later on when you own a nice horn you'll know how to fix a few things, or at least have a clue as to what could possibly be wrong. I do agree with saxmom on the matter that what makes a good horn a good horn is sound.

Reply To Post

1. by robins
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

There is an article on www.cybersax.com about fake 19th century saxophones made in India, mine is identical to the one shown and it has the original box. It must have some value after all it is probably one of the oldest saxophones you'll see and as such a piece of history. I think I'll just hang on to it for now, I don't think I'll be playing it much though

Reply To Post