Saxophone Forum

by irvan
(2 posts)
17 years ago

selmer bundy

hi folks...i'm new in saxophone i'm looking for my first alto, somebody want to sell his selmer bundy for $550 to me..is it worth it?? is it student/ pro sax?? thanks be4

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: selmer bundy

Bundy is generally a student horn. I wouldn't pay $550 for it.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

17 years ago

ill second that, good advice they are not bad, but 550 even in great playing cond sounds a little much.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

17 years ago

The highest I've seen alto bundy horns go for retail is in the $500 range. Keep in mind, that value is inflated by the store's need to cover ovearhead, and it typically includes the store's good name, an exchange policy, and a warrantee to justify that extra retail cost. Also keep in mind, my experience is is the Midwest and local economies may be different, but I doubt much different. I'm not saying don't buy the horn. I am saying that as a commodity, that is a bit above the high side those instruments are going for unless in prestine condition and recently serviced.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Generally you can't buy much of a saxophone for $550. However, I know Ralph Morgan really worked hard on the Bundy II design and you can likely find a really nice used one for less than that. New ones might not be even that much. You might also check out the E.M. Winston altos. I recently bought a lightly used Winston tenor for well under $1000 and find it to be suitable down to low B. Low Bb is quite a stretch to reach - bad design. But the horn is well made and sounds good --- or maybe I just sound good - LOL. - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Well you just taught me something Donnie, I never knew that the great Ralph Morgan had a hand in the design of the Bundy II horns. Anymore info on that? Cheers and thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
        (282 posts)

17 years ago

I read that Mr. Morgan spent many years with Selmer. On a discussion thread either here or at SOTW he commented that they had really worked hard to make the Bundy II as playable as possible with good design and keywork. I think he was probably the chief designer. Incidently, if you get a chance to try one of his hand finished hard rubber mouthpieces they are very good - easy to blow and responsive. I find these, along with Fred Rast, Patrick Springer and Jody Espina pieces to be superior to the current crop of bigger name but totally machine finished mouthpieces like Meyer and Link. (I would not know about how they would compare to 1950's or 1960's vintage pieces. - - - - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Donnie, I concur with your mouthpiece suggestions, and long ago found them to be excellent choices as well. I'm an Administrator on SOTW, so I'll have to hit the search button for the Morgan/Selmer history. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by irvan
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

thanks guys, i think i will not buy it for $550 how about Collegiate by holton elkhorn.wis.usa serial number: 566 381119 is it worth it for $550 thanks before

Reply To Post

1. by Saxyboy
          (52 posts)

17 years ago

I doubt if the Holton alto would be a great choice, but if I were you, I would look at the approved brands list found here under the High School section - and buy something on that list. In fact - why not get a private instructor first? He would help you with this. If I only had $550 to spend, I'd buy a lightly used, well-cared for Yamaha 23. Do you have a local music store? If not, there should be several available at eBay or national retailers right now. These things stand up well and play easily. Might even get a used Yamaha 52 for something around your budget.

Reply To Post