Saxophone Forum

by Scrythe
(22 posts)
17 years ago

Buescher True-tone

I want your guys opinion on this horn. There is A buescher True-tone at my local music store that is going for $450. It is silver and by looking at the serial number ( 253,080) and charts, i think it's from 1928. It is low pitch. I did read somewhere that it is a good vintage horn for classical work because of it's dark sound. But i want to know how you guys thing it plays. THanks, Scrythe P.S. How do you pronounce buescher? everyone i ask has told me something different. I think it's pronounced Boo-shay. Anyone want to correct me?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Scrythe
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Buescher True-tone

forgot to mention..it's an alto.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

These are fine horns, with (as the name would suggest) very good intonation and tone. The ergos may or may not take some time to get used to, depending on your familiarity with vintage horns, but they are all round great horns. The price may be very fair, especially from a retailer, HOWEVER what is the condition of the pads and horn setup? If you need to sink another $250.00 or MORE into having this work done to get a player, it may not pan out price wise. The name Buescher is German, not French, so the actual pronunciation SHOULD be closer to "Bee'sher", or "Bisher", but this is rarely pronounced correctly in English, with "Boo'sheer" being the most common pronunciation. Rather like the Porche name, which SHOULD be pronounced "Por'sha" not "porsh" (the "e" on the end ads a slight "ah" or "r" sound in German.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

17 years ago

Forgot to add: This is a slightly later model, which is more desirable. It should have a front High F key if the serial number/date is correct.

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

17 years ago

The Tru-Tone is a very good vintage horn. The great classical player Sigurd Rascher used one, even after newer Selmer's and other horns were made. It is considered one of the best vintage horns for classical players. If the horn is in good condition, then the horn is a great value. If you had to put an extra $250 or so into it, it would still be a good investment. This is a quality vintage horn. True, key positions, most notably the G# to Bb pinky cluster, are a little awkward. A little practice and regular handling of the horn will sort that out.

Reply To Post

3. by Scrythe
      (22 posts)

17 years ago

I'm pretty sure it has a front f key. I wouldnt've thought about purchasing it if it didn't have it. It also also the G# trill key and the Eb trill key, but it was closed with cork and i couldn't find the button for it. Do you know where it is on the sax? It is in very good condition. when i looked at, i saw barley, if any, scratches. The only problem i found with it was the little rubber thing on the octave key came off so it was replaced with paper, but i don't think that effects it. I can tell it is an excellent classical saxophone. But would you say it can also be a good jazz horn?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

17 years ago

This horn, like most, is suitable for any type of music. 99% of that is up to the player, all things being equal. The E flat trill key when enabled is activated by the middle "E" finger of the right hand, using the E Stack key. Although some would argue this, I don't find it of much use, and it adds resistance/weight to the action, is yet another Body/Bow/Bell area key that might cause a leak etc., even when working/sealing properly. Some find it helps the intonation the low notes of certain horns, and if that is the case with yours then by all means use it. Otherwise.... Regarding the price paid: Yes this is a good deal, but keep in mind: Even if you only have to put a mean $250.00 into the horn for a re-pad and adjustment, these horns are found in abundance, and the top value on the market isn't much more if any above your total cost given those figures. They are wonderful horns, but don't fetch top prices, yet. This is only an issue if you are looking to "flip" the horn for profit right now. Cheers.

Reply To Post