Saxophone Forum

by c-panthers
(16 posts)
17 years ago

Switching

Should a student who played flute for 2 1/2 years start on an intermediate soprano sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Scrythe
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Switching

There's nothing stopping you from doing what you want, but i would recommend against it. The soprano takes a very disciplined saxophone player. I would suggest starting on alto and building up a good embochoure first befor eyou attempt soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by yotengotenor
      (29 posts)

17 years ago

I would tend to agree with that, however if you know you are musically talented, are willing to put in some hard work, and you're absolutely sure you want to make the switch, I'd say go for it. Still, if you have the time and resources, start with alto and work up.

Reply To Post

2. by c-panthers
    (16 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jaja999
      (15 posts)

17 years ago

Definately not a student model, just the fact that its offered in silver plating probably means its a pro sax. I would highly suggest switching to alto rather than soprano for the same reasons listed by others. I happen to know two very good flutists who both play alto sax as well.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

17 years ago

not neccesarily, as some of the crappy Cecelios are made in silver plate...

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

I've heard decent reports on Antigua Winds, though I've not had experience with them. One warning. Even a soprano saxophone is much heavier than a flute, and overtones on the saxophone are much more difficult, especially on a soprano!

Reply To Post

1. by c-panthers
        (16 posts)

17 years ago

But is it a student soprano sax?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by c-panthers
        (16 posts)

17 years ago

What is the diference between an intermediate soprano sax and a student soparno sax?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

i believe keywork makes the difference. Kind of like on a flute. On student models, the G is usually offset to help the student reach it more easily, but on more advanced models it's "in-line" for the more advanced player. When it comes to the difference in saxes, its generally the same issue, keywork. There's a few extra keys (high F# and G) most of the time on more advanced models. There's also differences in the keys themselves. For example, the spatula keys on the sax (roughly where the G# key would be on a flute) are either just normal keys that just go down like the rest of them, or tilted (they have a weird mechanism that tilts them instead of pushes them). That was started with the Mark VI's i believe... But yeah... the keywork makes the difference of grade most of the time with saxophones.

Reply To Post

2. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Would the keywork make it harder to play it?

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

no, not harder to play, just a different feel. The more advanced of an instrument, the keywork will feel smoother, i.e., a beginner instrument will just have a comfortable hand position set up, but not have the fluidity of a professional one. But the professional will have both features.

Reply To Post

4. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

What are the names of the types of soprano saxophones?

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

well, if you're looking for student models, and/or on a tight budget, good ones would be Barrington and BandNow (unless others on this board have different opinions). Both are offered from WWBW.

Reply To Post

6. by Christian Anderson
          (73 posts)

17 years ago

If you can find one, a used yani will be your best deal, they all play well, and hole thier value better than an antigua, which despite their "intermediate-prefessional" claims play like student models.

Reply To Post

7. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Is Victory a goo brand for a soprano sax?

Reply To Post AIM

8. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

I mean good not goo.

Reply To Post AIM

9. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Reply To Post AIM

10. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I would not take a chance with an unknown brand like that. I took my chance on the E. M. Winston only after reading a good review, and only since I could try it out for a "really" good price. I like the E. M. Winston, and there is one available on ebay, starting bid of only $1.00. Item number 140090206775

Reply To Post

11. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

oh, i just remembered what a good brand is! R.S. Berkeley Artist Series. I have their bari, but i also played the soprano. USA Horn sells them. www.usahorn.com

Reply To Post

12. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Are they student models?

Reply To Post AIM

13. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

they're actually intermediate, so the keywork feels much better and easier than a student model, they also blow easy

Reply To Post

14. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

How do you know they're intermediate?And do you know if an intermediate soprano saxophone would be any harder to play than a student model?

Reply To Post AIM

15. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

17 years ago

actually, i'm not sure, but it has the specs of a step-up or intermediate instrument. The only difference might be that it'll be harder to blow through

Reply To Post

16. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

Would this be a pretty good deal?:

Reply To Post AIM

17. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Your link didn't work for me. How much do they want?

Reply To Post

18. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

$400 It's a new E.M. Winston Soprano Sax Comes with: case, 2 differnent necks(curved and straight)

Reply To Post AIM

19. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

In my opinion, it's worth it. Regular list price is quite a bit higher.

Reply To Post

20. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

21. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Nope, I don't believe I'd even nibble on that one. They don't reveal the brand so it may not have a brand, or it may be a brand with a poor reputation. Either way, I wouldn't risk it. Plus, they're charging almost $100 for shipping. Believe me, it doesn't cost that much to ship a soprano saxophone. You previously asked about the EM Winston. I have one (a soprano), and I can tell you it is a good saxophone. If I had a no name, I could tell you it's good or bad, and that wouldn't help you a bit, because it may be a different no no name than the one at which you're looking.

Reply To Post

22. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

What type of reeds would be the best for a student to play in tune on the E.M. Winston Soprano Sax?

Reply To Post AIM

23. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

The reed itself has little to do with playing in tune--your embouchure and support will be key. Soprano saxes are notorious for being difficult to play in tune, and they take more practice than any of the other saxophones to play well. Continue to practice, and you will learn how to keep the instrument in tune.

Reply To Post

24. by c-panthers
          (16 posts)

17 years ago

I decided to get a Yamaha YAS-23 Alto Saxophone. When I play the low notes like F,E,D,etc...., they don't come out.I use Ricco Reeds 2 1/2. Any tips/help?

Reply To Post AIM

25. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

You could be biting down too hard. Maybe a softer reed will help as you start as well. However, it could be the horn. If there are any leaks in the center of the body, those notes will be more difficult. Either have someone else who plays saxophone try the horn, or have a technician check it out.

Reply To Post