Saxophone Forum

by hsk9146
(8 posts)
17 years ago

Help on mouthpiece

Hi! I'm a alto player and I'm thinking about buying a nice mpc but I don't know a lot of mpcs, so I would like some advice on mpcs. I'm searching for a nice bright sound with edge suitable for fusion or modern jazz that would match my '37 Martin Committee. I'm thinking about buying a Morgan Excalibur, but I don't want to make mistakes and play with a mpc that I could possibly not like. I'd be very happy to hear some advice

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxyboy
    (52 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Help on mouthpiece

There sure are a lot of discussions along this line here. You should search these out. Do you have a big local store where you could try several mouthpieces out (with a toothguard)? That's the best way to choose one. Your old horn would appreciate a large chamber, fairly close tip hard rubber mouthpiece with little or no baffle or a small roll-over. But you might prefer something different. Ralph Morgan makes a fine hand made mouthpiece. So does Jary Custom. So does Fred Rast. So does Jody Espina. So does Phil Barone. And I've heard good things here about Patrick Springer. And then there are vintage mouthpieces to consider - N.Y. Meyer 5 for alto, I always hear. But for someone here to recommend a mouthpiece for you would be a recipe for potentially wasting money.

Reply To Post