Saxophone Forum

by BuffetSax
(21 posts)
17 years ago

ebay vintage

I was wondering if anyone has actually had a good experience when it comes to buying vintage saxes from ebay. I really want to get an older sax but i don't if that would be to smart. This one im looking at is an excellent deal. Its a true tone w/ the serial 199424. I've compared some pictures and this looks pretty legit. What should I do

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: ebay vintage

Be careful with ebay, check the warranty of the seller. If you can get your money back, then it may be worth a try. Also, don't send a cashier's check or money order. Use paypal or Bidpay or some other kind of buyer protection. I've bought three saxophones through ebay, none of them old enough to be considered vintage. I've been happy with all of them. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Linky
      (26 posts)

17 years ago

include the price of a checkover and some minor repair work into your budget. They never ever turn up in real playing order, and even a brand new sax should be sent to the repairers straight away for a check over and fine tune. Make sure you have decent large photographs and some security protection and insured shipping relative to the cost of the saxophone. If you can help it I'd advise not buying from eBay as the risks are so huge. There are loads of supposedly great deals on vintage horns etc. on there but they are misleading. The only vintage horns on eBay with respected names are the ones that aren't too great and people are cashing in on them. Always try before committing if at all possible. Every saxophone is different and just because you found one sax great does not mean another sax in the same model will be.

Reply To Post

1. by JaZzer
        (25 posts)

17 years ago

I bought my 1959 conn 10m off ebay. However, the only reason I considered buying it was because it was in the same state as me. I drove down about 2 hours, tried it out, and loved it. Problem was that I lost the bid by $100. The next day I receive an email that the winning bidder didn't pay, so the horn could be mine for that price. It also said not to worry about shipping costs and insurance since that will be taken care off, because the owner is in England attending her sister's wedding. Well, as i said earlier, I had visited the owners of the horn before, so I very much knew they weren't in England, and that this was just a scam for my money. I reported it to ebay (which of course did NOTHING. The email I received looked absolutely legit, down to the logo and the links that took you to the right places. If anyone throws aside insurance and shipping, do a quick background check. Later I received a phone call from the owners saying the winning bidder was from singapore, and that he wasn't allowed to bid. I wasn't the highest bidder, but since I drove down to meet them, they sold me the horn for what I had offered. Anywho, ebay: be skeptical, yes, it usually is too good to be true. No, some people are not that stupid about instruments, they make themselves seem ignorant in order to dupe people into buying their junk (making it seem like a great horn, but they have no idea what it is and sell it for cheap). The only reason I considered ebay for buying was because I could personally try out the horn. I would never consider buying a horn if I could not try it out. I personally met the owners and tried going about everything in a well thought out manner to avoid issues, and still look what happened. Be careful with ebay, I don't know about other people's experiences, but with vintage horns and ebay/scammers, I don't advise it.

Reply To Post

2. by WMcLean
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

All of Linky's comments are spot on. I had a great ebay experience, did my research, bought respected name (Martin) low from a reputable seller with good rating (and with more than 100 transactions) and ended up with a beautiful sax ... but inbetween I sent it to Sarge at WWSax to get fully rebuilt.

Reply To Post

1. by rlafans
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

I've had good luck with a Buescher Aristocrat Tenor and especially an Armstrong Heritage Tenor (same as Couf Superba II) purchased for $700. Both beautiful horns.

Reply To Post