Saxophone Forum

by Influence
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Seeking info on Vintage CC Conn Ltd Saxaphone

Hello, I have a sterling silver CC Conn Ltd Sax Serial # 118398 What can you tell me about it? Evan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Seeking info on Vintage CC Conn Ltd Saxaphone

The serial Number puts it's date of manufacture between 1923 and 1924, which would likely make it a New Wonder Series I. There should be a letter both above the serial number and below, which will tell: 1. you what type of horn you have i.e. Alto/Tenor etc. An "A" will appear above the serial number for Alto, a "T" for Tenor and so on. 3. An "L" or "H" should appear below the number, for (L)ow pitch, or (H)ighpitch. The former is what you want, which means that it is pitched to A=440. The second, or High pitched instruments are out of tune with modern instruments, and is next to useless. Your horn is Silver plate over brass, not SOLID sterling Silver BTW. If you provide photos, I can positively ID your horn for you. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Evan, BTW, it is actually C. G. Conn, not CC. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by Influence
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

saxismyaxe, Thank you for the information :-) Oddly - There is an O above the serial number and a D below it?? Influence

Reply To Post

1. by Influence
        (3 posts)

17 years ago

My mistake (Doh!) It is a C Melody with an L Influence

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Hi Influence, Then it should have a "C" above the serial number, and the "L" is for the afore mentioned "Low" pitch tuning. Cheers.

Reply To Post